Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Insomnia

6 easy miles on Monday were followed by a slow shuffle for the first mile on Tuesday, but the legs came round before I reached the hill. I repeated last week’s all-out hill sprints, once again without a specific number of repeats in mind, but I did hope to go at least one better. I reckoned that last week’s near-fainting must have been caused by hyperventilating and tried to breathe normally after the sprints, at least as normally as you can if you’ve just narrowly escaped the clutches of a sabre-toothed tiger chasing you (that’s how I push myself to all-out efforts – imagination is a wonderful thing). The dizziness stayed away this time but the little wave of nausea started hitting me after the sixth repeat and the legs felt decidedly heavy during the eighth, so that’s when I called it a day.

I never used to have trouble sleeping, not since I started running anyway, but I’ve had quite a few bad nights recently. I'm not sure what the cause is, surely the reduced mileage won’t cause insomnia? Last night was particularly bad, I woke at 2:30 and that was that. Nothing worked and in the end I could just stare at the ceiling, waiting until it was bright enough to go for a run. As I was out so early I did a couple of extra miles and still had times to cut some wood and do the dishes after my return. On the plus side, I should sleep soundly tonight.

The weather turned scary, just in time for Killorglin’s annual dabble with anarchy, Puck Fair. That’s unfortunate, there is usually a great buzz in town, but with a miniature hurricane blowing, most people prefer to huddle indoors instead of participating in the festivities.

8 Aug
6+ miles, 47:56, 7:51 pace, HR 140
9 Aug
5 miles, 43:37, 8:43 pace, HR 143
    incl. 8x15 sec all-out hill sprints
10 Aug
8 miles, 1:01:16, 7:39 pace, HR 47

1 comment:

  1. I think I have discovered what separates me from a sub-3hr marathon - my undying love for my bed.

    On the insomnia thing - try yoga and meditation. I tried it about 18 years ago and it gives you great techniques for clearing your mind and relaxing your body - like cycling, you never forget these.

    ReplyDelete