Friday, August 26, 2011

Man Flu

I can’t quite remember when it was that I started coughing, but I know that it was about 3 days after Niamh, which leaves me in no doubt on who is to blame. The children all got it as well and even though it’s a rather mild form of sickness it turns out to be a very persistent one because we all still have it. I also blame it for last week’s bad race, but that’s beside the point.

As much as I hate going to the doctor I still remember what happened the last time I kept running with a persistent cough, and I really do not fancy catching pneumonia again, so off to the doctor I went. She did not seem overly concerned but because of my history prescribed me some antibiotics.

Maybe it’s just in the head, but after one day of treatment I already felt better this morning. Mind, I ran much too fast as a result and the HR was even higher than on previous days. The cough is still there and I have to take care.

It might still be August, but summer is definitely coming to an end. It’s fairly dark when I get up and the last few mornings have all been really cold. The biting wind does not help in that regard. Today I wished I’d brought some gloves with me. Gloves in August! What’s the world coming to?

I'm still optimistic that all will be resolved in time for me to run Dingle without problems. I haven’t exactly done much training, but with my background I should be able to get through. I remember saying that before all of my previous “pacing” marathons.

Niamh went to Dublin (again!!!!), and this time she took all the kids with her. Unfortunately she also took the car, which leaves me rather confined at home. I might do the 10k in Milltown on Sunday but will make a late decision. No need to point out that I would not expect a spectacular result.

24 Aug
8 miles, 1:02:08, 7:46 pace, HR 150
25 Aug
7 miles, 54:24, 7:46 pace, HR 147
26 Aug
8 miles, 1:00:50, 7:36 pace, HR 151

1 comment:

  1. You are to blame Thomas. Things will improve when you admit that you are ALWAYS to blame!

    ReplyDelete