Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thoughts, Photos, .... , Chocolate, Wine, Beer, ...

And there was me thinking my readership had whittled down to about 3, over 40 comments and counting, with the added bonus of making Ewen green with envy. Thank you very much, everyone! This really means a lot to me (the comments, not the envy).



I found Eric's comment funny, scalding me for using the Garmin's HR because after Boston, Roberto, a marathon runner of almost equal ability to Eric, chided me for NOT following the HR. I'm perfectly aware that your race HR is higher than in training; on Sunday I was comparing it to past races, not training runs, and that's why I eased up, but only by a small amount. I'm still glad I did, I had very little left at the end and I think I used my energy rather wisely.

After the marathon I met a mate from my school days who could not get over his amazement that the least sporty kid in school, who was always picked last for football, managed to run a marathon in less than 3 hours. I think it's fair to say that my talent has always been on the mental side of things. I will never run a quarter in 60 seconds, but ask me to run a lot of them and I'll get my head down and do the work. Tenacity is just as important for a marathon as your leg fibres.

I'm recovering quite quickly, the legs were fine the very next day, which was good because I was walking up and down the staircase half a dozen times on Monday morning, packing the car. The coach had prescribed 4 days of no running, I did 3 but went out this morning because I could no longer resist the scenery.

The day after the marathon we drove to Bad Aussee, at the geographic centre of Austria, in in the middle of the Alps. The weather has turned hot and the mountains are just stunning. Maybe we should have come here before the marathon, not after, because it's much more relaxing here and I might have saved my legs for the race.

Now in my post-marathon recuperation period, I have switched from a monk-like life style to one closer resembling Homer Simpson's. I have been looking forward to this, and the fact that the chocolate tastes so good here is great (and there is no weighing scale around here).

21 Apr
8 miles, 1:05:08, 8:08 pace, HR 147


9 comments:

  1. Great triumphant end of race photo!

    I only wish my easy miles were equivalent to yours. I ran a nice marathon pace eight miles yesterday. Average pace - 8:08...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Eric is right about not using the HRM when racing, I'm eve starting to question using a Garmin.
    My young team mate Ben simply ran by feel at london, only occasionally looking at his watch, he achieved an amazing negative split under boiling hot sun and smashed 20 mins off his P.B. for 2.35 and being the first under 23 year old to finish!
    Minimalist Running: Ditch the Technology and Run Free - http://strengthrunning.com/2010/06/minimalist-running/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Thomas I missed your earlier post ... I am so delighted for you! You deserve a huge pile of chocolate for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first photo, it says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! But no video clip?

    You need to change the title bar of your blog to strike out "Rubbish" now.

    8)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh...I have to admit, I'm very happy I didn't give that advice prior to the race, as backing off proved to be the right thing to do. It just goes to show that the HRM is just another tool, and not something to base the whole decision making process on.

    Poor Ewen. Green with envy and winter is starting down under. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, really great blog post… I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy you put into each post. I actually run AceHealth.org, a blog of my personal research and experiences. If you're interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail: bob.mauer65(at)gmail(dot)com, and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos Thomas.

    The first one of you crossing the finish line has so much emotion in it.

    The old saying of a picture is worth a thousand words was coined with that picture in mind!

    Hope you continue to recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Eric, orange with envy after seeing that finish-line photo - even with the girlie white socks. I'd wear those if it meant breaking 3 hours (something I'll never do), but I'd never stoop to girlie arm-warmers! And not yet winter - glorious sun today - about 18C.

    Enjoy the beers and chocolate Thomas - they're well earned.

    ReplyDelete