Sunday, April 10, 2011

Haunted by Phantoms

Right now, as I'm sitting here, I'm desperately hoping that the tiredness than engulfed me all weekend and the headache from today are just taper phantom symptoms and not the harbingers of the same illness that had affected Cian last week and Niamh the week before. After all that great training over the last few months I do not know how I would cope with having my sub-3 marathon ripped away from me by illness.

Maybe thinking about Connemara exacerbated the symptoms. I was very surprised how much I missed running the Ultra today and how much I thought about it, especially during my run today where I could not get it out of my head.

Yesterday I ran another 5 easy miles, constantly pulling the brakes, trying to stop myself from running too fast. The coach mentioned something about not running every day, but I guess to stop me from running he will have to state it more definite than that (or, on some days, he would have to come over here and tie me down). Anyway, during almost the entire run I felt like I was running as slowly as possible without it feeling awkward, so to average 7:33 pace cam as a bit of a surprise.

Today was supposed to be my final long run but since we had to re-jig next week's one single workout because of my travelling schedule, the coach told me to only run for one hour, which cannot be called a long run by any stretch of the imagination. Throughout the training I almost always ran my “normal” long runs on the very hilly loop around Caragh Lake, but since I ran a lot of runs trying to match a certain pace, I always chose a much flatter alternative for those. I have missed out on a good number of loops and I think my legs are not as strong as they could be due to missing out on those climbs, so I gave them one more workout on the Devil's Elbow climb, the steepest bit of road amongst my standard running routes. I also let the legs go by whatever pace came naturally, without constantly checking the Garmin and subsequently putting on the brakes. This all sounded rather fine, but unfortunately I now realise that I ran too hard, especially on the climb. I now await the chastening by the coach.

The afternoon was just manic, having to bring Maia to see the Peppa Pig show (which is definitely aimed at 3-year olds, not their Daddys), then going to see Lola do her exam for Drama and Speech on stage and finally collecting Shea from a violin concert, I felt like I had run the Connemara Ultra after all. I wonder how Grellan got on.

9 Apr
5 miles, 37:39, 7:33 pace, HR 143
10 Apr
8.5 miles, 1:02:43, 7:22 pace, HR 155

Weekly Mileage: 45+

3 comments:

  1. Thomas, running hills 7 days out is a sign of Taper induced self doubt. Doesn't it take 10 days before the benefit of a particular session takes hold - so the hills were so that you could have a fast recovery run on wednesday week? You're in great shape, keep your powder dry until race day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Grellan said, you're in great shape. Take lots of vitamin C, get some rest and cross your fingers. Beside, I've got sick for you... you owe me (I'm sitting here, nursing a pint with a fever, aches and chills).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 800m racing friends will tell you one hour IS a long run ;)

    I'll have a word to The Ghost Who Walks.

    ReplyDelete