Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Summary

Even though my training under MC’s guidance has been different to my self-tutored attempts, I decided to keep the same summary format that I used before all my other big races. You would not be able to follow it by the summary alone, though. The genius was in the detail.

Training (from 4 Oct – 3 Apr):
26 weeks
Miles per week:
52, 53, 44, 70, 68, 75, 79, 81, 54, 61, 83, 84, 76, 86, 73, 74, 73, 73, 74, 72, 77, 70, 76, 75, 72, 65 (average: 71)
the jump from 44 to 70 was the Dublin marathon, the drop to 54 was a knee injury. I’m actually amazed how consistent I was.
# runs of 20 miles:
4
# runs over 20 miles:
1 (pacing the Dublin marathon)
# of PBs:
1 (or 3 if you count in the fact that I broke my 5 miles and 10k PBs along the way during the Ballycotton 10 miler)
Injuries/ailments:
- one ballooned knee after running on ice in December (missed 3 days)
- several sore throats that made me miss exactly 0 runs


The seeming lack of long runs is counter-acted by the fact that many of the weekends were back-to-back workouts that were much tougher than a standalone long run. In fact, some of those runs felt suspiciously like the last miles of a marathon (as much as it can do that in a training run). The essence of the training, as far as I can tell, were the steady runs day after day, week after week, always slower than I could have run, for the basic fitness and the back-to-back workouts for the marathon specific fitness. I only raced one single race in the entire training cycle, in Ballycotton, which went so well it almost blew me over.

If I have one regret then it’s the fact that I did not run any 5k or 10k races. Even without specific training I know I would have blown my existing PBs out of the water. That was sacrificed for the sake of the best marathon preparation I could have had. I’m perfectly fine with that, of course, but it leaves a tinge of regret, looking at my existing PBs knowing that I could run much faster.

I was scared enough by Sunday’s high heart rate to take Monday completely off (gasp!). Today I did what the coach calls a Taper Workout. It starts like the marathon might, trying to gradually get down to marathon pace, first half mile 7:20 pace, second half mile 7:00 pace, then gradually speed up to 6:40 pace (planned marathon pace) and hold it for 2 more miles. Jog for 10 – 15 minutes (which was 7:25 pace) and then run 3x800 every 5 minutes 2:54 pace.

My main problem with the first half of the workout was trying not to run too fast. I did the first half mile in 7:10 (a tad fast) and the second in 7:00 (spot on). The marathon pace miles were a bit fast at 6:34 pace and felt a bit harder than expected, not just because of the pace but also because I still felt the porridge that I had eaten 90 minutes earlier in my stomach, something that won’t happen on Sunday. The 800s went in 2:54, 2:50 and 2:52, just about right. The first and third repeats were not helped by the headwind; the second was, obviously, but it did not feel like it. The fact that it started raining was not overly welcome.

Talking about rain, that’s what seems to happening in Vienna right now; the forecast for the weekend is cloudy skies and 14C temperatures, much to my delight and Niamh’s disgust, but it is supposed to be sunny again the following week, which would suit me just perfect. The headache and tiredness from the weekend has gone as well. It’s all systems go and no excuses.

11 Apr
0
12 Apr
9 miles, 1:03:26, 7:02 pace, HR 155
   incl. 3 miles at 6:35, 3x800 in 2:54, 2:50, 2:52

14 comments:

  1. Best of luck, I always catch your article on runireland. The work is done, just let the training speak for itself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jolly good. hoping for a fine double this weekend. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best for Sunday Thomas.

    I really hope everything comes together on the day and you blow that pb to pieces.

    My prediction - 2hrs 57mins 35secs

    ENJOY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told you there would be clouds...seriously though the work is done..count it down...buy some Sinutab to counteract the aircon on the flight and in your hotel..might be no harm to buy some immodium as well to counteract upset/nervy tummy..have enjoyed reading the blog...enjoy the day and let the pace come to you on marathon day

    ReplyDelete
  5. read your blog regularly, good luck on sunday. It would be a help if you festoon yourself with iphones like joseph tame did in tokyo
    http://tm2011.com/

    so we can vicariously run it with you

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's more than 140 characters Thomas. I'm expecting an improvement with the post-race report.

    ReplyDelete
  7. enjoy Sunday...no matter what happens. You've done the work - the reward will come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great time!!!!

    I hope you enjoy it Thomas, best of luck and I'm looking forward to the race report.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I reckon you can do sub 2:55 Thomas but if things get nasty with cramps or lactate build up all bets are off ;)

    No, you'll be alright! When things get hard just hum a few bars of "Ultravox"... and tell yourself "This means nothing to me!"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eZhbn4IIu8&feature=related

    That weather sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck TFB. I've no doubt you'll smash that sub3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you have a terrific race and find a way to smile while crossing the finish. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thomas, go get that long awaited nirvana so that the rest of us can see the path and follow the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck - have you, by any chance, published MC's entire programme anywhere? I wouldn't mind following it!

    ReplyDelete