Saturday, September 18, 2010

Something, Finally

I had intended to take 2 weeks off. I lasted 11 days. Close.

The achilles is still an issue. On Wednesday I did not feel it at all any more, but as soon as I had taken 5 steps on Thursday morning, my first run since the ultra, I knew that this would bother me for quite some time. The conventional wisdom would probably have meant to rest more. However, there is method in my madness. I have run through niggles before, including achilles troubles, and they all went away eventually while running through it. The discomfort is easily manageable, so far. If it gets worse again, I will review the situation.

5 miles on Thursday were followed by 4 on Friday. I would have done more but I only woke at 7 o'clock. I did not set the alarm because I prefer to wake naturally. Once I get into the swing of things, this will become normal. I rarely need the alarm clock, even when I get up at 5 o'clock. Once I'm tuned in, I tend to waken just a couple of minutes before the alarm would have gone.

Sleeping in on Saturday would have been nice, but Maia got up at 7 o'clock, which brought an early end to my night. I gave her some breakfast and then parked her in front of the CBeebies while I went running. It might not be the ideal way of parenting but it the only chance for Niamh to give her an extra hour of sleep, and none of the kids have ever been complaining about one extra hour of kids' television.

Talking about the kids, they were very impressed to see Daddy's name mentioned in the Kerryman newspaper. The lower right corner of page 58 might not be the most prominent spot, but one eagle-eye friend of Niamh spotted it anyway. Fame at last! Well ... at least Lola thinks so.

It's definitely getting cold in the morning. I don't quite need the headlamp yet, but the time for singlets has passed and I even contemplated wearing gloves yesterday morning. Winter is approaching. This can be good and bad. I love running beneath the moon and the stars on clear winter nights, but sometime the rain can be relentless for weeks, which can be hard to handle. We'll see what's in store. I don't expect last year's Big Freeze to be repeated, though.

The heart rate was much too high for this morning's run, showing how much fitness I have lost over the last 2 weeks. It's amazing how quickly you lose it.

16 Sep
5 miles, 41:15, 8:15 pace, HR 145
17 Sep
4 miles, 32:45, 8:11 pace, HR 145
18 Sep
8 miles, 1:01:43, 7:42 pace, HR 159


  1. Good to see you back out there and thanks for the donation. Much appreciated.

  2. Fame at last indeed. Certainly a fantastic achievement Thomas. Talked about it on today's club run - there may be a few takers next year. The lost fitness will bounce right back.

  3. Yes, that counts as fame! Laminate it before it fades. I've a few old clippings like that and they're barely readable now.

  4. You're in the press, that is always satisfying. Well done once again. I’m glad to read that you’re easing back into things, hope the body comes around soon.

  5. Congrats on the amazing Ultra. Wow.

    I'll keep harping: ice ice ice. The miracle cure for Achilles tendonitis.

    Stick your foot in a bucket of ice water until you can't stand it...then let it warm up, then do it again..etc. Do this for 10-15 minutes.

    Do the whole thing right after running for sure and a few more times per day if you can.

    It's not just about reducing the inflammation after running...the cooling and heating gets more blood in there (which there ain't much of) and that helps with healing.

    Worked wonders for me anyway. Leaned about it in Tim Noakes's book.

    I still use an ice bath for my feet after long hard runs....just in case.