Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Post Mortem

If you spend months preparing for a marathon, an analysis is inevitable, isn’t it? I have now had two days to think about the race, what went well and what didn’t, and what I can do differently next time. Yes, I’m already looking forward to the next one.

I have absolutely no regrets about going for a sub 3 hours time. I’m sure I could have shaved a minute or two off my final time with even pacing, but what would have been the point of that? Nobody is going to aim for a 3:03 marathon, at least nobody I can think of. It’s too close to 3 hours, and you inevitably start aiming for that.

Before the race I was quite confident that I could pull it off, and during the race I kept believing for a long time. The timer at the halfway mark, when I realised I was 20 seconds behind target rather than 20 seconds ahead as I had thought up to then, was the first time that doubts crept into my mind, and even then I still thought I had a good chance. It wasn’t until mile 19 that I had to admit to myself that the target was slipping away, and at that point my legs went boom and 5 minutes later I knew I was out of the hunt.

I did mention the stomach cramps in my race report, and I think they were a major factor. I initially blamed the untested brand of carbohydrate gel at mile 15 for almost throwing up, but in actual fact my stomach had been revolting for several miles already, and I don’t think the gel was directly responsible for the reaction. I also couldn’t stomach any of the sports drink. Each time it was on offer I would take a bottle, just sip a minimum amount, and then threw the bottle away, feeling guilty about wasting the content. I just could not swallow the sweet stuff, and I think I just ran out of glycogen at mile 20, the classic cause and the classic distance for hitting the wall.

I really had not expected for that to happen! Two years ago, in the Dublin marathon, I held up well until mile 22, last year in Loch Ness I was fine until mile 24, and in Cork I was fine until the end. After that sequence I don’t think it was unreasonable to think that I would be able to last the distance on Monday as well. I now know better.

What caused the stomach cramps? Well, I had been stupid, and I can only blame myself. In the days before the race I had been reading about the positive effects of caffeine for long distance running, and decided to give that a try. Of course I had not tested that in training, but let’s get real. For a long run I have to get up at around 4:50am. If I wanted to ingest caffeine an hour before that I would have to get up at 3:50, and that’s just not going to happen. I don’t think my stomach took well to the 335ml of Red Bull, delivering about 100mg of caffeine if I read the label right, an hour before the race started, and eventually it rebelled. The stomach cramps didn’t stop at the finishing line, they went on for the rest of the day and the following night, and it wasn’t until Tuesday evening that it felt somewhat ok again.

My legs, on the other hand, are recovering well. I can walk down the staircase without wincing, which is good because I seem to be going up and down like a yo-yo all day. On the other hand, I have absolutely no intentions of running at the moment, and I won’t be heading out of the door until the urge to hit the road again comes back in earnest, however long that takes. The fact that it’s absolutely freezing and miserable outside doesn’t help I guess, but even the perfect weather conditions couldn’t entice me at the moment.

So, what’s next? The plans haven’t changed, my next marathon will be Boston in April. I don’t know if I can break 3 hours there, the course is difficult, and the number of runners on the road might be a problem. First and foremost I am determined to enjoy that occasion, it’s not every day that you cross the Atlantic to run a race.

I will also change my training again. I feel almost ungrateful to diss the Brain Training approach, after all it DID deliver a 4 minutes PR. But I really think that it is not for me, the amount of speed work kept grinding me down, and the fact that I never hit the projected training paces didn’t help. It did open my eyes to the fact that I had not done enough speed work up to now, and now it is question of finding the right balance. So, for my next training cycle I’ll hop back onto the mileage bandwagon, but hope to incorporate more fast running than last year. I have yet to plan it in detail. This will have to wait until we get back home to Kerry on the weekend. For the rest of the week we’re in Dublin for a holiday. Maybe I’ll be able to face the road again once we’re back home.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're alive and kicking, and already looking forward to your next race. I'll be seeing you in Boston (which should all be good fun). If you have a second drop me a line: Michael.Lord at gov dot bc dot ca

    I'm also happy to hear that you're taking time to recover. Listen to your head as there is no need to start heading out the door until you really feel like it.

    Lastly, if you haven't already, I suggest you pick up Jack Daniels' Running Formula (either vol. 1 or 2). In there I think you'll find a good balance of endurance and speed, I'm curious to know what you think. Have a good day and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo - Boston! awesome. the crowds will blow your mind. hopefully you wont be too penned in, since you'll be much further up front than most. maybe i'll come up for the road trip to cheer you (and all my clubmates) on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas, you're right to have gone for the sub-3. It was a real possibility and at least you can hold your head up high knowing that you really went for it and gave yourself every chance on the day.

    I take it you'll be giving Connemara ultra a miss next year or, will you use it as a 'warm up' event!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you haven't cut your wrists. When I met you at the end you were caked in salt so your electrolyte levels might have been a bit low at the end as well. I've taken to carrying Nuun electrolyte tablets with me on hot days/long runs - They make the water more palatable and don't give you the stomach problems of carb drinks. I had the same problems with a tight stomach from mile 12 on but I had 3 gels in me at that stage (I could only take 1 more from mile 12 to the finish and that was a real struggle). I have only run Dublin once but it strikes me as a course where you have to push on as hard as you can and suffer the blow-up if it comes. I didn't see too many negative splits on the day and the pace was falling for everybody from 20.5 on.

    My quads are at their worst today - real old age pensioner stuff - but hopefully they'll be ok by the weekend -

    Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Thomas, I've been following your journey online for awhile now, and I congratulate you for the great effort at sub-3. I think you might have over-raced near the end of your training cycle, or otherwise you would have broken three hours. Also, trying to shave 10 minutes off your marathon PR is always a daunting task, even if your training indicates it is possible. The body and mind are going into unchartered territory and may need a couple of attempts to be convinced of the possibility. And you're right, probably the red bull didn't help either :). But awesome race, nonetheless...congrats again.

    Anyway, I've been running marathons for several years and have a similar pattern to the lowering of my times. Used to be around 4, then started trying to BQ and wittled it down to 3:20, then finally BQ'd at 3:09, then went for sub-3 and got 3:05. I'll be trying for sub-3 at next year's Boston as well. Hopefully we'll see each other out there and we'll both get it done!

    Charlie Mercer
    charlie.mercer70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. THOMAS!!! If I lived closer to you I'd come over and give you a good kick! I can't believe you did that. Even my wife a non-runner knows never to even change the 'color' of your socks on race day, let alone engorge a Red Bull which you've never done before. I'm almost at a loss for words but obviously am not. Sheesh! Wait till Andrew hears of this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas!! Why do I have the feeling Mike is going to kick me instead? Thanks a lot!

    Without Mike reading this... I have given up on the old 'don't try anything new' maxim. While I suppose I follow it out of habit, I just don't worry about it anymore since it stresses me out. Without a doubt, a hotel stay before a marathon makes me eat or drink something that I normally don't train with - what is a body to do (besides bring one's own refrigerator like some 'other runner' I know)?

    Caffeine is a great discovery but it can make you jittery if you're not a consumer like I am. Have a coffee and enjoy.

    A good race, a good outcome, and good new plans will come out of it. Train on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas,

    congratulation for the PB, first of all.
    It was definetely the thing to do to shoot for sub-3 (that you have in your legs).
    I am sure the Boston will make justice: you will start in the 3rd corral, so the way will be clear soon and with the crowd support it will be a joke to go under 3hrs!!
    second, you have a relentless passion for experimenting new practices at the last minute...
    (either some new shoe, either some new training fad, this time the redBull !!!)...
    My personal experience is to take some sort of caffeine around mid-way in the marathon. You get the "shock" about 30/40 minutes later, when is the moment to keep hard, but not any stomach cramps until after the marathon.
    Powergel have some version with x1 or x2 coffeine and they are very helpful for later in the race

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job in your race. Enjoy the recovery and you are very wise to rest until the notion to run hits you.
    I tried the Red Bull thing once to. It didn't give me cramps but I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thomas, see you in Boston! My two fastest marathons out of eight are Boston. Whether it's the desire to train harder/better/smarter for Boston or the excitement of actually running the famed course, a PR can be had. My desire to run a sub 3 in Boston will hopefully keep me motivated through another winter/spring of marathon training. I hope it does the same for you!



    Mark>NE

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi THOMAS don't want to upset you but 2 of the girls from my club ran Dublin,ANGELA finishing in 3.29 in her first marathon and Sam running 3.01 in her 2nd only marathon!
    SO COME ON Thomas,donlt let the girls give you a kicking! http://www.southportwaterlooac.co.uk/news/news10.html#27_10_08

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good effort in Dublin... Glad to see that before the lactic acid has all cleared the legs you're planning another pop at sub 3 hours.

    I've been tagging pictures left, right and centre for my site at the moment and came across one of you. Your number is half hidden so I had to do some detective work to find it out....

    ReplyDelete