Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Summary

I always give a short training summary a few days before a marathon, and here is the one for this build:

Training (excluding this week):
18 weeks
Miles:
1227
Average mpw:
68
# runs of 20 miles or more:
5
Highest weekly mileage:
86
# of PRs:
6 (5k, 4 miles, 8k, 10k, half, 15 miles)
Injuries/ailments:
  1. PF in left foot (leftover from Connemara in April)
  2. pain in left hamstring (almost certainly connected to 1)
  3. dermatitis in right foot


It was an unusual training cycle for me. I followed the Brain Training program, which meant fewer miles but more speedwork than usual. I found this a very tough program, and the massive amount of speedwork paid off spectacularly initially with a slew of new PRs over the shorter distances. However, I eventually decided that there was too much speedwork for a marathon build and started to back off. I had felt really tired and stale at the end of August, but I’ve come around and I am now in hopefully my best shape ever. In any case, it’s too late to do anything about it now.

The week started in total alien fashion, namely without a run on Monday morning. The weather was awful, I could not possible have cycled into work, so I got a lift off Niamh in the morning and ran home in the evening. Evening runs are always faster than morning runs, and it was an easy one, despite being faster than my usual easy runs. The weather almost cooperated, for 3.5 miles it was windy but fine, and then the heavens opened and I was soaked through within 10 seconds. As a result, the last miles and a bit were faster than planned – I just wanted to get out of the deluge as soon as possible.

My right foot started itching about 5 weeks ago, just after the Blarney half-marathon in fact. I assumed it was Athlete’s Foot, picked up from the shower room there. Apart from making sure to wash it very carefully each day I treated it with cream, but that didn’t help; eventually I tried some powder, which was no use either. I purchased some spray, and that didn’t get rid of it either. Eventually the foot started swelling, and it got rather painful. Niamh kept nagging me to go to the Doctor, and eventually I gave in, and had an appointment today. He said it was dermatitis, and after I refused to go on antibiotics he prescribed another cream. It should get rid of the problem within a few days, which would be just in time for the marathon. Funnily enough, even with all the unpleasant symptoms I have experienced over the last few weeks (blisters, crusty skin, irritation, itching, rash, redness, swelling) I was never worried about the marathon.

Because of the foot swelling, and because Niamh kept pestering me to be careful, I took Tuesday off, my first rest day of the entire training. I originally planned the same for today, but I woke at 4am, and when I was still awake at 6:30 I finally got up and ran 5 very easy miles. It felt good.

The one thing I am nervous about is the weather forecast. They keep changing their minds every day. A few days ago they predicted gale force winds with gusts of over 50mph on the day. Thankfully they have changed that by now. It keeps changing every day, though. I still don’t like metcheck’s forecast of 15 mph winds, while wunderground is slightly more benevolent with 11 mph. With 5 days to go, there is still plenty of error in those.
20 Oct
5 miles, 37:26, 7:29 pace, HR 145
21 Oct
0
22 Oct
5+ miles, 41:23, 8:15 pace, HR 140

13 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas,

    I am a bit surprise by my result too. Granted, I haven't done as many 20 milers (lesson learnt). I am faster than I think i am.

    I hope you have a taper for your big race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your race. Your training has been amazing! Hope you get that PR you are looking for!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch, that sounds painful - why would that blow up out of the blue?

    wondered if you'd read about this story and have any thoughts?
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/20/BAUC13L3GQ.DTL

    rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those training numbers look pretty good. Have a great race, Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep the early 'brain' speed in check and you'll be fine (somewhere in the 2:58 to 3:02 range).

    If Dublin is a point to point course, a 15mph tailwind would be ideal :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The marathon is the only PR that's outstanding from an impressive summer/autumn series!! Best of luck in Dublin - you'll do fine regardless of the weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck this weekend, only a few more days. Don't forget all the hard work that you've put in and my one piece of advice if I may, on race day, be prepared to work. I'll be thinking of you ~ cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best for Monday Thomas. I will send you a picture via email of my friend John Mclaughlin. He'll be wearing a yellow with black band vest (with Kilbarchan AAC on the front).

    I hope you too meet up and help each other achieve your sub 3hr goals.

    I'll be rooting for you!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dermatitises sounds painful, good job you got to the doctor in time, could have spread throughout your body and you would have ended up looking like the elephant man [ no need for fancy dress come marathon day]
    Hope the winds calm down and you run 2.39-3.03.
    HAVE A GOOD ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops! I MEANT TO SAY 2.59-3.03,
    BUT HELL 2.39 WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great race on monday Thomas, you're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for your marathon this weekend! Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. good luck Thomas have a great race

    ReplyDelete