Friday, October 24, 2008

Anticipation

I bet a lot of runners for Monday’s Dublin marathon introduced a rest day yesterday, planned or not. I actually had a decent workout in mind, with a few miles at marathon pace and a couple of 800s, but when I woke around 6 am the house was being battered by the storm, which persuaded me to give this one a miss. Cycling into work was completely out of question. The wind was really gusty with wind speeds of up to 60mph – running or cycling would have been suicidal. Kenmare and Killarney, neither of them far away from here, got so badly flooded that they made it into the main evening news. As long as the storm blows itself out over the weekend, that’s ok with me. The conditions on Monday are going to be fairly cold but manageable. We will be fine.

As a result of the weather running amok my mileage has dropped off a cliff this week, which made this a more radical taper than originally anticipated. I guess I’ll see how I will feel on Monday, but in all honesty I don’t think a missed 8 mile run 4 days before the big day will have any measurable effect either way.

It was surprisingly calm this morning, and I managed to squeeze in 5 miles between two very heavy rain showers. After a warm-up mile I increased the pace to MP and intended to hold it for 3 miles. It felt much too fast, and the old doubts started creeping in. Then, with half a mile to go, it all clicked again and I cruised along, confidence restored. I went easy again on the last mile home, but when I glanced at the Garmin with half a mile to go I realised that I was jogging along at 7:00 pace, and my confidence for Monday soared. I spent the last few minutes forcing myself to slow down, and with 3 days to go it is time to get plenty of rest. Any miles yet to come will be very slow and easy, just enough to keep the legs moving.

I got two emails in the last few days, one from a John who wants to run under 3 hours and suggested working together, and one from a different John who knows yet another John who wants to run under 3 hours and suggested we should be working together. It looks like I won’t have to set the pace on my own, but things might be getting confusing with all those Johns around me.

3 days to go. We’re driving up to Dublin tomorrow (the weather forecast is atrocious), and I will hopefully manage to relax on Sunday. And then …

23 Oct
0
24 Oct
5 miles, 35:16, 7:03 pace, HR 160
incl. 3 miles at @ 6:49

19 comments:

  1. Good luck on the weekend and don't forget to run your own race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep those positive feelings. Relive Cork to Cobh (kick at 20 miles this time - just after the last hill) and most of all have a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what the heck's up with Irish weather? crazy stuff!

    enjoy you remaining few days before the race. such anticipation!!

    you will be sent the most positive of vibes on Monday from across the pond.

    btw - can I track you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck...will you be wearing your trademark green vest? I'll keep an eye out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck - quite jealous I'm not doing it myself, especially now that all the sign post are up around Dublin warning about traffic delays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Thomas. You seem primed for a terrific time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep the confidence soaring for 26.2 miles.

    Then have a beer or two.

    Sage journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers from an American jogger who runs mostly on an indoor health club track, only venturing outside when it's above 40F (a drop of rain you say? Back indoors we go).

    Very impressive that you have continually completed intense workouts while often facing extreme weather. The miles on your legs are well-earned....now lay some hurt down on the Dublin roads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thomas,

    have a blast on the race. Looks like you are getting some nasty weather on your end. HOpefully things will be better on race day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go kick some ass on the roads of Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pumped for you and hope all goes as planned. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. Look forward to the report. Go kick some arse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great race. Run like you've stolen the shoes you are racing in!
    All the best for a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a great race Thomas! I hope the weather is a non-factor and all your great training will come to fruition. Run well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You'll do well Thomas (if the 60mph winds stay away). Here's hoping the next post is as a sub-3 marathoner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thomas, you have trained your body, you have trained your brain. Let the race flow, live it, love it, revel in it, every second of it!



    Mark>NE

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking about you Thomas. Have a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on great PB Thomas. The splits indicate you were on target for the 3 hrs up to the 30km mark. You obviously decided to got for it from the start with a very even pace through the 10k, half and 30k mark. You must have suffered towards the end. Looking forward to your report. Rest well.

    ReplyDelete