Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It's Raining Again

After a week or two of sunshine the weather turned nasty on Tuesday. I was glad that I had gone out on Monday for my 5 miles recovery after the half, because Tuesday’s storm front didn’t look too inviting. It was still bad enough this morning when I got up, but after I had eaten my breakfast the wind stopped and the sun nearly started shining. Well, at least it stopped raining. I did 8 comfortable miles, the first 3 while wearing a wind jacket, which I ditched and continued in a t-shirt. Of course that meant that I got wet when the rain returned – I just can’t win. Apart from that, I felt fine. My quads were a bit sore yesterday from the downhill sections in Sunday’s race, but have pretty much recovered by now.

On a side note, I need to learn to count again. It is 26 weeks until Dublin, not 25, and I’ve got one extra week to increase my mileage before the training starts. I’ll do about 40 this week, 45 next, and the first week of the marathon training will be 50 miles. Perfect! I decided to go against Mike’s advice to do the 18 weeks training plan, mainly because the increase in mileage from 50 to 70 is much more gradual in the 24 weeks plan, and I definitely prefer to approach that level slowly. I guess I’ll find out it that was a good idea or not.

1 May: 5 miles, 45:49, 9:09 pace
3 May: 8 miles, 1:07, 8:22 pace

10 comments:

  1. I'm working on a 20 week plan for Dublin, interspered with a lot of shorter races for speed over the summer, once I get back from Prague that is. Are you likely to be coming up to Dublin at all over the summer, for family and/or runs? If so, we must meet up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't remind me of rain, please:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you've recovered from the race. Hope your weather improves - sure makes training a bit easier in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been sunny too. It's nice to run in shorts instead of tights. It probably won't last - but at least when it does rain, it'll be warmer.

    Wow, you've got a long time to wait for the marathon. Good deal on figuring out your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great race report.>Thomas...haha...funny about your last name bit.

    Will mail your shoes sometime this weekend. I should get a tracking number for this..will email u once i do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, at least you counted wrong the good way - gives you more time!

    what, cian wasn't up to any antics lately? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had rain pretty much every day for the past two weeks. I'm not complaining though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you'll do fine and the longer the buildup the better. Remember the plan is a bit intimidating so just take it a day at a time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with increasing the mileage - doing it graduallyis probably the best way to do it.

    ReplyDelete