Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dad's Day

Might indeed help others training for their first sub-3. Having MC himself (or herself) at the end of an email must have been invaluable too.

Just to re-iterate this, Ewen is absolutely right. Having MC helping me with my training was absolutely invaluable. The training plan I posted got me under 3 hours, but without help it would not have been enough. I don't want to discourage anyone from at least reading through this and picking up some pointers, but I won't take any heat if your marathon isn't as good as you hoped.

Actually, Ewen's right on another point, MC may just as likely have been female. I'm embarrassed to say I never even considered that. Give me a whack over the head for misogyny.

I could still do with some help, actually. If someone could force me to slow down on my training runs, I'd probably benefit. Maybe I should set up an automated email account that periodically sends me an email saying "run more and run slower" in various shapes and form. It worked when I got them from MC, but telling myself at the start of each run (and during) is not half as effective.

I still haven't quite gathered the courage to run the big hills around Caragh Lake again, despite the fact that my knee handled the steep downhill of the DAR just fine. I have been running plenty of miles along the undulation road on the other side of the lake instead, my preferred running route anyway, which will hopefully build up the leg sufficiently to handle the big hills soon enough. Thank to Rick, btw, for pointing me towards this article. It's yet another theory of what might have gone wrong, but using The Stick on my ITB is well worth trying. It won't do any harm.

I can't believe it's the 19th of June already. Where did half the year go? I really must be getting old, because that's what all the old people used to say all the time when I was young. The fact that the weather was so bad hasn't helped. It really does not feel like summer.

"Do you want breakfast in bed for Father's Day", asked Niamh? "Err, ... no ... unless you want to get up at 6 o'clock". That offer was declined. Instead we had pancakes after my run at 10 o'clock. It also gave the kids time to make their own card. Everyone signed it. Niamh, all 4 kids, and the gerbil had a good nibble as well.

I must have been tired and cranky on the last mile of today's 15 mile run because when that car came up from behind and hooted at me, I was about to turn around and give him a mouthful of abuse for hooting at me for no reason - it was at the very last split second that I recognised Ed at the wheel. He was only being friendly. That would have made for quite some story, I guess, the next day at work. I'm squirming at the mere thought.

Now head over to Grellan's and leave your congratulations on a mind-boggling achievement.
18 Jun
10 miles, 1:17:31, 7:45 pace, HR 151
19 Jun
15 miles, 1:54:21, 7:37 pace, HR 150

Weekly Mileage: 68

3 comments:

  1. would it be unwise to say that i remember the old folks allways used to complain about the weather not being what it used to be too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only MC had power over your dodgy training weather you would have run sub-2:50! Very glad our days are about to get longer. Bloody freezing today - about 2C this arvo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can only be considered to be 'old' when you go to the bar and order a pint of mild. until that point - you remain a youngster:)

    ReplyDelete