Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Back on Track

It sure has taken a long time. Ever since the Vienna marathon the legs have not felt quite right, the HR was always too high for the given pace and there was no pep in the legs.

All of a sudden I can feel the difference. The shift is subtle and if some scientist took some measurement, she might not spot it. But I can feel it.

So it’s time to increase the mileage and get a few weeks of proper base training. I have finally managed to slow down a little bit to keep the HR where I want it.

Monday saw some more progress in my injury rehabilitation. For the first time in ages I ran without my knee strap. I was a bit apprehensive but figured that the shortest run of the week would be the best opportunity to try this. It went reasonably well, but there was some discomfort during the last 3 miles.

I felt absolutely knackered on Monday, btw. Early Sunday afternoon Niamh made some bitchy comment about the lawn mower gathering dust. I could not possibly go out and do the garden after that, it would have looked like I'm following orders. So I waited 5 minutes and THEN went out to make it look like it had been my idea all along. Score! (I wish). It didn’t change the fact, though, that by the time I was finished 5 hours later I was toast; I was more tired than after all of my recent marathons. The fact that then I could not sleep at night and got less than 5 hours did not help.

A good night’s sleep on Tuesday made all the difference and I felt reborn. I was a bit hesitant about the knee strap but on the way out of the door made the decision to leave it at home. I felt fully vindicated when I made it through 10 miles without the slightest amount of trouble. I thought I had finally left that chapter behind.

So it was all the more disappointing that I felt some discomfort again this morning, halfway through my run. Nothing bad and certainly not interfering with my run but disappointing nevertheless. I’ll get over it, eventually, but I need to show a little more patience, I suppose.

Today was “National Cycle to School and Work Day”, so me and Lola cycled together to her school, I then continued on to work and at 3 o’clock Niamh collected her by bike as well. Luckily the weather just about managed to cooperate. They really should advertise these things. Nobody else at work seemed to be aware of this.
20 Jun
8 miles, 1:03:55, 7:59 pace, HR 140
21 Jun
10 miles, 1:18:23, 7:50 pace, HR 146
22 Jun
12 miles, 1:33:21, 7:46 pace, HR 146

4 comments:

  1. A few weeks ago, BC celebrated bike to work 'week', it was good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you followed orders to sleep in the shed for 3 nights after you burnt the pie.

    Good news about the knee gradually coming around. I calculated your 10 mile run was at 711 heart-beats per km. What's a good time/ave HR for 10 miles when you're in sub-3 shape?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flipping heck, 5 hours to mow the grass that's ONE BIG GARDEN you have there Thomas old chap :0]
    Sounds like you could mark out a 400m track on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'm happy to hear that the knee came good and you could "finally leave that chapter behind".

    BTW what is it with you and "chapters"? Sometimes a pargraph will suffice ;)

    ReplyDelete