Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bonked. Hard.

Stop sniggering at the back, I’m strictly talking about the American, running related meaning of that word rather than the decidedly more fun British interpretation. Today’s run was not pretty.

Actually, the last few days had been fairly good. The HR showed a bit of a wobble on Thursday when it was several beats higher than expected for the slowest training run in ages. It may have been the shoes. I always used to swap between two pairs of shoes, one reasonably light (e.g. Nike Lunar Elite) and one heavier and cushioning (e.g. Asics Stratus), always worn on alternate days. After my knee troubles, which started in April, I exiled the heavier shoes (Saucony ProGrid Ride), which meant that I was now swapping between two lighter pairs (Nike Lunar Elite and Saucony Kinvara). On Thursday I wanted to save the Kinvaras for Friday, and in order to avoid wearing the same pair twice in succession, I dug out the Rides again.

It felt like having two bricks strapped to the feet. I still don’t think it entirely explains the relatively high HR, but it goes some way. I have gotten so used to the lighter shoes, I never want to go back to the cushioning ones again.

I resurrected Fast Friday, which was my one day of fun under Mystery Coach’s base training, which means running 10 miles a bit faster than the rest of the week but still very much within limits, with a HR of no higher than 155. That’s still a very limited effort, but when you try and stay in the lower 140s for the rest of the week it is something to look forward to. As it happens, I ran a bit too hard but the 7-minute pace was much better than expected, a bit of payback for Thursday I suppose.

Niamh took the kids to Dublin on Saturday to gawk at her newest Nephew, which is why I delayed my run until the afternoon, after they had left. I run 98% of my runs in the early morning and running in the afternoon had the effect that my RPE was completely out. It did not come as a surprise, it happens every time when I run in the afternoon, but I found it impossible to correct. I felt like I was crawling along virtually at walking pace even though the pace and HR fields of the Garmin told a very different story. I found it impossible to slow down even further, I already felt awkward. Of course I ended up with a HR that was way higher than planned.

Which brings me to today. After the highest weekly mileage in months and some way-faster-than-planned runs on the preceding days, running the steep hills around Caragh Lake for my long run was quite possibly never the brightest idea. I was a bit worried about my knee, but that never became a factor. I could tell early on that my legs were totally unused to the effort of climbing 600-feet hills; the HR went past 170 even though I tried to keep the effort as low as possible. I guess I then should not have tried to stride out on the downhill, going the next 2 or 3 downhill miles at 6:30 pace wasn’t that great an idea either. By mile 10 I could tell I was faltering and within 2 or 3 miles I had hit the wall, hard. It was ugly from here on. I kept telling myself that it’s those runs where you really have to push yourself where you gain the biggest fitness from, but did not believe myself. I just wanted to lie down beside the road and die in peace. The sun had come out, which did not help as I was getting dehydrated and did not carry any water with me.

4 miles of being hungry, thirsty, knackered and then starving, parched and completely exhausted turned into a death trot. I could almost imagine myself in the final miles of the Western States 100, which was held at exactly the same time, a good few miles away in California (ok, not really). Despite crawling along at 8-minute pace, my HR was in the high 160 (!!!) and I could not get home soon enough. As soon as the Garmin hit 17 miles I stopped running and very, very slowly walked up our driveway. A drink and some liquid carbs revived me sufficiently, but there is a lesson to be learnt somewhere I guess.

23 Jun
10 miles, 1:20:05, 8:01 pace, HR 145
24 Jun
10 miles, 1:10:16, 7:02 pace, HR 156
25 Jun
10 miles, 1:15:36, 7:34 pace, HR 153
26 Jun
17 miles, 2:14:05, 7:54 pace, HR 160 (!!!)

Weekly Mileage: 77

5 comments:

  1. They say if you're able to "bonk hard" at our age the circulation must be good.

    Are you sure you bonked? - crawling along at 8 minute pace! I suppose it's all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a headliner like that your bound to get a few undesirables coming along at any moment.
    I bet Mr Scott Brown and Ewen will be visiting pretty soon :0]

    I agree about heavy shoes I just can't wear them any more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that bonked had a different meaning across the pond. Too funny. Regardless, hope you rebound soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the world coming too when a bunch of blokes try to avoid bonking on the weekend ;)

    I dunno if you get the biggest fitness boost at those times but i think it can be very usefull training for mental toughness.

    Personally i take a water belt on any run that im expecting to take longer than a hour if its warm, or an hour and a half in any other conditions. My belt also allways has a gel in it just in case... never had to take the gel yet, but 17 miles without fluids would do me in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The less detailed "Worst 17 mile run ever! Feeling like death warmed up" I read on Twitter was better. Had a good chuckle at that!

    ReplyDelete