Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Shanghaied

Someone in the office got the idea to get a group of us running the Cork marathon as a fundraiser for Cancer Research, in honour of a colleague that passed away last year. It's a great idea, but when XX asked me to run I tried to explain that it's only 7 weeks after my Vienna marathon. She cut me off, pointing out that YY is going to do 3 triathlons in 4 weeks in June. I tried to get a word in, pointing out that 3 sprint triathlons still only amounted to 15k of running, but didn't get very far. Normally that sort of thing would not bother me, I am perfectly aware that the majority of people can not tell the difference between a 2 hour sprint triathlon and a 3 hour marathon, and would not give two hoots anyway. But she must have caught me on a bad day and I was really pissed off. After 75 minutes of battling wind and rain during my run and 20 more minutes of the same conditions cycling into work, the last thing I needed was someone giving me grief for not running enough marathons.

It's a good cause and in memory of a colleague and I might try to snag one of the pacer slots which I could still run for charity, I presume. Next time I'd really prefer to be asked nicely, though.

I just chucked out a pair of runners after close to 700 miles. The wear pattern was quite interesting, I thought, and I've noticed this on the last few pairs as well. On the right shoe the pattern on the back of the shoe's sole is still in good condition, considering the mileage. But on the left it is worn down completely and the difference is a few millimetres. I must have an asymmetric gait. This is a fairly new development, until about a year ago both of my shoes always wore most at the heel. Did I really switch to land more on the forefoot, not deliberately, and only on one foot? I also just realised that all of my recent injuries were on my right leg, but that may well be just coincidence.

12 Jan
9.25 miles, 1:13:43, 7:58 pace, HR 139
13 Jan
11 miles, 1:26:26, 7:51 pace, HR 142

5 comments:

  1. Why didn't you tell her that you'd have to ask your coach to see if it would "fit in" with your yearly schedule. Other than that you should have said that you were getting your hair done that day - that always works for me!.


    or

    Why don't you run Vienna for Cancer Research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because it's a group effort where hopefully up to 20 of us will be running in Cork. Me running on my own in Vienna doesn't quite fit in.

    I should have tried the hair excuse. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you've purposely tried to change your foot-strike to more mid-foot the uneven wear could be the result of that. Runners with perfect symmetry are unusual. Even those who look so are either right or left footed. I wouldn't worry too much about it (unless injuries increase). If they do it could confirm Scott Brown's latest theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 9.25 miles on January 12 and 11 miles on January 13. GFood average pace and great start to the New Year, Thomas!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. patalla femoral syndrome and a tight IT band. Your hamstrings are tight, quad and tibialis anterior (front shin muscle) become weak as you compensate and scuff that heel. happened to me and was only comfortable when running fast. That's my theory

    Fix it or you'll have some unpleasant physical therapy to deal with

    -runner

    400m - 48.5
    800m - 1:53
    mile - 4:17
    5k - 15:31
    half - 1:14
    marathon - yeah right

    ReplyDelete