Thursday, January 06, 2011

A Night To Remember

The first sign of trouble was at 00:30 when Cian threw up for the first time and Niamh and me spent the next 30 minutes cleaning up the mess (me, mostly) and consoling the poor child (Niamh, mostly). These things happen, but the main problem was that they happened again, namely at 2:30 and again at 4 o'clock and once more at 5 o’clock, with the one difference that Niamh slept through all the other incidents and it was left to me to handle them. When the alarm went at 6 I used the snooze button for the first time in a very, very long time as I could not even open my eyes. I managed to get up at the second call, but another throwing-up episode meant that by the time I made it out of the house the midweek longish run was curtailed to 10 miles. It’s all part of parenting, I suppose.

The main thing is that Cian has recovered and nobody else was afflicted, unless there is a delayed reaction yet to come. It meant that I ran virtually the same distance over the same course three times in a row, something I usually try to avoid but then again it’s one way of being consistent, I suppose. I have been feeling much better this week but I keep making doubly sure to run easily and stay ahead of the recovery curve. I’m probably overcautious, but that’s a lot better than erring the other way.

I made some use of the Sales in Dublin to purchase a new pair of trousers and had serious trouble finding a pair that actually fits. I know I'm slimmer than your average person but I'm not exactly anorexic and I’ve never had quite such a hard time before. Niamh could not resist calling me too thin, but that’s pure jealousy, obviously. Eventually I managed to track down the only decent looking pair of trousers with a 30 inch waist and 32 inch length. It may well be true that the average person keeps getting fatter and fatter and the shops are merely following demand.

It was markedly colder this morning and there is snowfall predicted for the next few days in the South and West (or so I'm told. for some reason I had troubles concentrating on the weather during the forecast). People have started moaning already; is it really too much to ask for the complaining to wait until the conditions you are complaining about are actually here? Anyway, it’s not going to be anywhere near as cold as during December and the temperatures are predicted to climb again after the weekend, together with heavy rainfall. Now THAT is something I’d find worthy of moaning about!
4 Jan
10 miles, 1:19:31, 7:57 pace, HR 139
5 Jan
10+ miles, 1:18:20, 7:48 pace, HR 145
6 Jan
10 miles, 1:19:41, 7:58 pace, HR 140

8 comments:

  1. I can emphatise on the trousers situation Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas,

    A picture of Jean Byrne and her see-through dress on your blog?

    You stick to the hard core running stuff and I'll make the jokes about the weathergirl MILFs.
    Each to his strengths ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 31"x34" is tough too. Hope no one else in the family catches the bug and that it was something only he ate at school.
    Nice view in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinner? Anorexic? Nah, "runner chic"...like 'heroin chic' but way healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in the States anything less than 'square' is nearly impossible to find in stores. So for those 30x34s, no way. Only slightly more available would be 32 x 34 which I consider my fat pants...

    ReplyDelete
  6. If that's your weather girl, I'm moving to Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three solid days of running despite the screw balls, well done, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete