Friday, January 21, 2011

No Offense Intended

There is one thing I did not mention about Tuesday’s school evening, though it was very much on my mind. Niamh noticed it as well, and that’s when I realised just how big a deal it is: the number of overweight children is just staggering. All of the children on stage were between 6 and 12 years old and thinking back to my own school years, there were maybe one or two overweight kids in my class, and none of them would have been what I call obese. How things have changed! My own impression was that the majority of heavy kids were girls, but I'm not sure if that’s generally the case. I found it pretty shocking, especially as this was a school in rural Kerry where outdoor pursuits and sport are still valued highly. If we could get those children to exercise more it would make such a difference to their lives. Instead the politicians are talking about getting rid of PE altogether.

Anyway, my own training is continuing nicely. Another nice and easy run on Thursday once more got close to 7:30 pace. I’m getting used to this. Today I did another “Fast Friday” but with the preliminary speed phase just around the corner I was very careful not to overdo it. As a result I ran it at a slightly lower average HR than last week; in fact, most of the time I did not even get out of the 140s. Despite that constraint it was still faster than last week. For a while the average pace was a tad faster than 7:00, only to drop back on a couple of uphill miles after the halfway point. I was tempted to put in a stronger effort over the last 2 miles to get back under 7:00 again but thought the better of it to avoid the wrath of The Coach. At all times I was relaxed and comfortable and felt like I could have run at that effort for much, much longer.

The weather is cold and clear at the moment, with temperatures a little below freezing point in the morning and lovely and sunny during the day. I love it. Maybe I get reminded of the Alpine winters of my youth, sans the skiing of course. It did cross my mind that the faster running pace might be related to the lower outside temperatures because the last time I ran that fast was back in November when we had equally cold mornings, but that may well be complete coincidence.

Right now I'm looking forward to being allowed to run fast again a bit more often, but I have the sneaking suspicion that I may come to regret these words.
20 Jan
8+ miles, 1:01:08, 7:36 pace, HR 144
21 Jan
10 miles, 1:10:25, 7:03 pace, HR 151

7 comments:

  1. Obesity is a big problem here in the U.S. as well. It's sad and infuriating at the same time. Nice work on the training, looking good for your plans with more speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 in 4 primary age UK kids are overweight, rising to 1 in 3 at school leaving age. Poor diet, lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyles are creating a ticking timebomb of future problems such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Exercise is only part of the solution, it also requires improvements to diet and encouraging better lifestyle choices. Not sure what the Irish govt is thinking in terms of getting rid of PE. I'd have thought prevention is better than a cure. Ireland can ill afford any more strain on its resources at the moment. Worrying times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Thomas it's as we all know going to exact a cost in the future and its really not fair to the kids that we allow this to happen.

    I've heard serious talk in Australia about having all children spend sometime on a farm learning how to grow and cook real food cause there is a growing gap between production and consumption. This even to the extent, no shit, that some kids have never seen a whole potato and tomato! And don't know apples grow on trees!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on Thomas. I'd say it's primarily diet related as the country is awash with an abundance of cheap high calorie low nutrient convenience food.

    You're showing great restraint which will pay off handsomely in the months ahead. Feeling that comfortable at 7 minute mile pace augers well for a great day out in Vienna. Keep your hands tightly on those reins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog. You are very accurate. I am a teacher and I would say that about 80% of my students are dealing with or will deal with a weight issue. Their lack of activity is horrible. Our kids are so unhealthy nowadays. Think the movie WALLE

    Take a stop by my blog if you wanna.www.1mileatatime.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, sadly we have the same problem down here. A combination of factors: Kids not allowed to walk/ride to school; no organised PE in primary schools; competitive sport discouraged in favour of non-competitive (which in my view is not as much fun for kids); kids hooked on 'devices', computer games.

    Rob de Castella has his own business supplying after-school fitness activity to schools, so there's definitely a need. Sad really.

    ReplyDelete