Thursday, August 07, 2008

Ugh!

That’s what I feel like saying every time I get out of my chair, or any other supporting medium for that matter. I have known sore legs before, but today it’s really bad. I’m flip-flopping between thinking that I’m overdoing things and should reduce my mileage and/or intensity and thinking that all that soreness is merely a sign that I’m breaking out of my comfort zone, which is great news as far as marathon training is concerned. Last year I basically tried to run as many miles as possible. I did add a few weeks with faster running (one interval and one tempo workout per week) towards the end of the training cycle, but it was nothing like this time, with fast workouts from the very start.

There is no question that my race times for the shorter races have improved, and in the case of the 5k it has improved dramatically, but the one I’m aiming for is the marathon, and I will still have to wait almost 3 month until I see the result for that distance. Remember that I’m aiming to cut almost 10 minutes from my time, and that’s a tall order that will require a lot of hard work; sore legs are simply part of that.

Setting out for an easy run yesterday morning I was reminded of the quote “it doesn’t get easier, you merely get faster”. The legs were tired, especially around the hips, and lifting them required effort. From the moment I left the house I was looking forward to the first mile point, because that’s where I usually start to feel better, but this time I struggled all the way to the turnaround point, from where things finally started to improve. An interval workout and a double have definitely left their mark.

One day of easy running is not a lot ... ok, I’m just whining now, and will try to stop. Fact is, my legs were still sore this morning, and the prospect of 4 mile repeats was daunting, but I set out to do what was on the schedule. Because running back- and forwards on our road is boring (once a week is more than enough) I ran towards Cromane and incorporated the fast miles whenever the stopwatch dictated. Just like last week I was reminded that a mile can be very long, and 2 minutes of rest is not very much; I still find it interesting that I can run 4 miles at the prescribed pace in a race, but find it utterly impossible to repeat the same performance in a training run, when regular breaks after each mile should make things easier. Maybe the fact that I’m actually expecting to miss the correct pace has something to do with it, and a better mindset would improve things. On the other hand I’m hardly the only runner who can’t hit 10k pace in mile repeats, right?

Since the elevation changes had some influence on the actual pace, you can’t quite compare the efforts. The first one included a short but very nasty hill, and was against the wind. The second one was slightly uphill. The third one was slightly downhill, and the last one featured that blasted hill again, albeit from the other direction. I did ok for most of the workout, but when topping that last hill on the last repeat my HR was up to 180, I was wheezing, and the pace had slowed to 7:30. I needed the following downhill section just to recover, and even though that mile was the slowest I was surprised that I hadn’t run even slower. The times I hit were 6:22, 6:19, 6:11 and 6:25, with an average of just over 6:19 which is virtually the same average I managed during last week’s 3 mile repeats. How I am going to replicate that pace next week, when there are 5 repeats on the menu (I was totally and utterly cooked after 4 today) is not yet clear, but I’ll try to ignore that problem until I get to it.

Halfway through the workout I felt like pulling the plug. I was already exhausted, and felt like I couldn’t do it. What kept me going was the race report from Aisling’s Rotterdam marathon where she had scraped under 3 hours by two seconds, and her reminders how hard the training had been, especially the fast workouts. Sharing the same target helps, and I know I will kick myself for weeks if I start to take it easier now and then miss my target. Even if 3 hours will be elusive this time round (which is the likely outcome, let’s face it), I will find it much easier to accept if I can look back at my training thinking that I had given my best.

6 Aug
8 miles, 1:03:17, 7:55 pace, HR 143
7 Aug
8.7 miles, 1:05:12, 7:30 pace, HR 154
4x1 miles @ 6:22, 6:19, 6:11, 6:25

7 comments:

  1. I'm sold on either 1-mile loops for repeats or a 400 meter track, as I just get confounded by trying to compare road splits over different terrain. Still, if it's effort you're after I guess it doesn't really matter.

    It does seem like you're working really hard this time around, though maybe you're just complaining louder (haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sore legs are definitely a good sign, right? If it's not hard to get out of a chair you must not be working hard enough. Keep on plugging Thomas and complain all you want ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah MIKE is right, I really think you are best finding a loop to run your miles , mark out each 1/4 so you can check your splits.
    I have two different loops i use one which has a small hill on it and my other mile is in the local park , i find running straight out miles like you are doing much harder!
    I've never had a problem running at 5k pace on the loops, i focus on splitting the mile down to each 1/4 hitting my target time, then thinking about the next 1/4 etc.
    one advantage of loops is your never running into the wind for to long and as MIKE pointed out you will get more consistent times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas I found it hard enough churning out the mile repeats but doing them on undulating roads must be a killer. I did them on a straight flat road out and back - only problem being the wind on every second rep. A flat mile loop would be ideal but where do you find on of them in Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your marathon is going to be hilly or rolling then a loop wish a hill in it would be idea! recreate the conditions you will face in your big race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'll be all worth it when you duplicate Aisling's run and become a 2 hour something something marathoner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Thomas
    Have you done one of those tests for athletes? If not, you should and get it analysed so you're doing the correct type of training for you. I'm a tiny little person and had never considered lifting weights but I did for my sub 3 cos that was my weakness as revealed by the tests; muscle. I had one session of speedwork that suited my heart rate (I was told 400's were no good for me by two people who saw the results of my tests)and one long run with a heart monitor (that was tough, 5 extra beats each week till I was up to 168 for 3 hours). The rest were junk runs where I ran hills, cos I love them or jogged easy for one hour. No pressure runs. Hope all is good with you, sorry I'm late to this!

    ReplyDelete