Saturday, August 16, 2008

Summer Holidays

One week of holidays is not a lot – time has flown, and I can't believe I'm basically at the end of my time off already. We will stay in Valentia for another week, so Niamh and the kids will have one more week of holidays, and I will commute from Valentia to Killorglin. I know, it's rather unusual to be able to commute from your holiday destination, but that's the way it worked out for us when we bought our house, just 25 miles from where Nana and Gaga had their holiday home. I got loads of sleep this week, and I did indulge myself with plenty of coffee, chocolate and other things – hey, this was my week off. In fact, I'm surprised I only gained 3 pounds. I feared a lot worse.

Running last week was a mixed bag. My set of 14 quarter repeats went very well; so well that I started to think I am getting the hang of this fast running business. I started a bit fast and slowed down slightly over the last few repeats, but I was rather pleased with the workout. However, Thursday's mile repeats brought me back to earth with a bump. The plan was to do 5 repeats, but unfortunately I was totally knackered after three. The fourth mile was against an increasingly strong wind, but how strong that wind really was and how much it was a mental block is up for debate. Anyway, I started that repeat at 6:30 pace but could not sustain it, and despite trying to push harder, I was running as slowly as 7:30 at the end. I managed to pull myself together for the last one, and only ever concentrated on running towards the next target – to the next pole, to the next driveway, around that bend ... until I was done.

I think my problem was lactic acid. I have the basic speed, and the quarters are going well because 3 minutes break between each is enough to recover. However, the program is less generous with the mile repeats, and 2 minutes break is obviously not enough. If there were more repeats on the schedule I might do them with 3 minutes break next time, but the workouts will change now, the quarters are going to be replaced by 1000s and the mile repeats are going to be replaced by continuous runs at 10k pace. My first thought was that I would not be able to run those workouts; if I can't do them with a break in the middle, how could I possibly do them in one go? Then I remembered that I have a 5 mile race on Sunday week, which will take place instead of that tempo run. Somehow I'm able to run fast enough if there is a number pinned to my shirt. Funny that.

The long run yesterday was much better; Niamh looked at me as if I were deranged when I told her I was going to run towards Finnian's Bay. There is a mountain inbetween, and Niamh's comment was that she doesn't even want to drive up there; as it turned out, I underestimated how steep the road was (up to 18% according to the Garmin???). I managed to drag myself up to the summit and started the descent on the other side, but when I saw that the other side was even steeper I turned around immediately because I didn't fancy two of those hills in quick succession. I didn't even get to relax on the downhill because it was too steep for that, I had to break all the time.

I started to make little deal with myself on the way home. Going straight home would have yielded 16 miles, not a lot. I thought that an extra 2 miles out and back each way would get me to 20 miles; then I lost heart and thought one mile each way would do. Then, while running that extra stretch, I did a similar game as on Thursday – just run to the next pole; then the one after that; then the next driveway; then past that tree. By pushing that way I managed to get myself past the 20 miles mark. Good enough!

11 Aug
8 miles, 1:03:56, 7:59 pace, HR 139
12 Aug
am: 10.8 miles, 1:24:57, 7:53 pace, HR 147
14x400 in 83, 84, 83, 85, 82, 85, 85, 86, 84, 87, 85, 90, 82, 86
pm: 6 miles, 46:07, 7:42 pace, HR 145
13 Aug
8 miles, 1:03:52, 7:59 pace, HR 139
14 Aug
9 miles, 1:08:39, 7:38 pace, HR 155
5x1 miles in 6:13, 6:38, 6:19, 7:04, 6:28
15 Aug
20.35 miles, 2:45:31, 8:08 pace, HR 146
16 Aug
8.06 miles, 1:03:40, 7:54 pace, HR 139

5 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas,
    I asked Mr Brian training, Matt Fitzgerald the following question,

    hi, reading through the brain training, training programs i too feel that i will not be able to run at 10k pace for 5 miles etc, having tried this sort of workout myself in the past. without race adrenaline i know i will be at least 20 secs slow per mile!
    if i fail to run 10k pace in training its installing negative thoughts into my brain, how should i approach this workout knowing full well that despite a good effort I will fail!
    MATT FITZGERALD'S REPLY;
    Run those workouts at your CURRENT 10K pace–that is, the pace at which you would run a 10K race today. By definition you can run 5 miles at the fastest pace you could run 6.2 miles on any given day. The workout is like a 10K race with the hardest part cut off.
    Matt

    THE LIZARDS COMMENTS
    WELL i DID NOT REALLY GET THE REPLY i WAS HOPING FOR, Thomas i think your option of a race is a good idea, I've been reading ARTHUR LYDIARD's book ' distance training for masters' in his schedule for the marathon he has you running time trials of 3, 5 and 10k he says don't worry to much about the times you run as what is important is the effort you put in and also you can't run your best times in training. A far more sensible approach i feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. THATS ONE BIG MOTHER OF A CLIMB YOU WENT OVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, do you expect hills like 'that' in your marathon? Simply ridiculous and the down is worse than the up on your legs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome looking hill! Looks like a solid week, especially with the indulgences that come with being on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mile reps are very humbling. That was a great pace for the 20 miler with a mountain in the middle.

    ReplyDelete