Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Second week of recovery

Is this still recovery, or am I already moving on to the next phase? The ultra was only 10 days ago, but I'm already straining to run more. As Niamh pointed out, I think I've got an addiction problem.

I know I shouldn't, but I can't help but think about the half marathon in just over 2 weeks, and I really want to get ready for it, even though I have abandoned all plans of racing against Grellan. First he ran away from me in Ballycotton like I was standing still, then he ran an absolutely incredible time at a 10k while I was systematically destroying my quads in Connemara at the same time. Last year I was a few minutes faster then he in Bantry, this time he's having his breakthrough year, and I won't pretend to be able to keep up. However, I'd still like to at least match last year's time. Back then the half was 5 weeks after the ultra, this year that break has been cut to 4, and that's a big difference. On the plus side, I seem to be recovering well from the ultra, so much so that I'm seriously contemplating a tempo run tomorrow morning. Mike has just warned me against that very kind of thing, and while I have ignored his advice in the past, it was usually to my detriment. I guess I just have to make my own mistakes rather than learn from someone else's wisdom.

Niamh has had a cold last week, she's only now recovering from it, and Cian has had the same problems. I fully expected to get sick myself, after all your immune system is supposed to be dragged down after a marathon, and did more than that. However, I haven't had any symptoms whatsoever, and by now I don't think I'll get them at all. Great!

The running over the last few days hasn't been overly interesting. I'm raising my mileage ever so slowly, and I'm also getting some pace back into my legs. The heart rate for Monday's run was satisfyingly low, but it's still elevated, which is of course to be expected, so soon after the ultra. The half marathon will come too soon for me, and I strongly suspect the same will be true for the Cork City marathon, but that's the way I chose the racing schedule this season. It wanted to know how I can handle a marathon so soon after an ultra, and I'm going to find out. I added 10x100 strides to today's run, and for the first time used my Garmin to help me sprint the correct distance, and remind me when the rest was over. The biggest advantage, however, was that I didn't have to count the 10 repetitions myself – that can be surprisingly difficult, as I've found out more than once.

14 Apr
6 miles, 49:17, 8:12 pace, HR 143
15 Apr
6 miles, 44:57, 7:29 pace, HR 155
16 Apr
8 miles, 1:03:35, 7:56 pace, HR 152
including 10x100 strides

3 comments:

  1. How do you write a (smirk, told you so)? We all like to make our own mistakes and keep repeating them over and over. For example I know the Saint John marathon I ran 3 weeks before MDI took the best out of my legs. But I 'had' to run both for various reasons! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're not racing him, but you'll be in the same race?

    I want to put a six-pack on Grellan, so I'll give you a 3-minute start. That is, Grellan must beat you by 3 minutes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Thomas, Connemara is no preparation for Bantry - but then again Connemara was the primary event and Bantry the afterthought. Having said that if you return to pre-Connemara fitness you should beat last years time based on your Ballycotton performance alone.


    Ewen, if you throw in a pair of running socks each you're on.

    ReplyDelete