Sunday, April 20, 2008

Quick weekend notes

We've just come back from an action-packed weekend at the family entertainment trap in Trabolgan. My company offered a special discount for a weekend trip, and even though we had just been on a short break to Connemara, we decided to take the offer and go. The kids absolutely loved every minute of it, they did climbing&abseiling, playground, swimming, cinema, trampoline, ballet, watched a panto and shows with Bob the Builder, Barney the Dinosaur and Angelina Ballerina (plus anything that I've forgot to mention), and the general consensus was that Trabolgan is the Best Place Ever! The parents are completely worn out (actually so are the kids, they slept the entire way back), and Niamh once dryly commented that this was exactly the place she never really expected to go to. Things change once you've got kids, I guess.

I did some running as well, bit not a lot. I ran 8 miles on Saturday, taking a random turn at each junction and ended up in Roche's Point, a very scenic lighthouse, and a well-know place because of the weather station there. Yesterday evening I read about the history of Trabolgan (it used to be a posh residence), and they mentioned the half-mile long avenue, and for some reason decided that half-mile repeats along that road were a good idea. Which in a way they were, because the trees did shelter me a bit from the icy and blustery wind that threatened to blow me over each time I ventured out into the open. However, I decided to concentrate more on form and a relaxed stride, which explains the slightly slower than usual times. Or maybe that's just an excuse. The road wasn't as flat as I thought it would be, which explains why the even numbered repeats were a good bit faster than the odd ones. I had to call it a day after 6, because we had a busy schedule – remember, the kids were calling the shots for those two days. At least we got a lie-in today – well, until 7:30, which is a massive lie-in if you happen to be the parent of a boy like Shea. I'm sure one he'll sleep until lunchtime once he becomes a teenager.

19 Apr
8 miles, 1:03:52, 7:59 pace, HR 151
20 Apr
6 miles, 47:00, 7:50 pace, HR 151
6x800 @ 6:43, 6:13, 6:50, 6:19, 6:53, 6:27 (avg. pace 6:34)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend for the kids.

    Nah, that's not an excuse. You should always run with good form - once the brain learns it, that good form will have you running faster. As long as it's not as fast as Grellan ;)

    ReplyDelete