Sunday, April 13, 2008

For the last time

I know I said I'd let things be regarding Connemara after the last post, but I just went over the photos again and noticed a few things:

For one, why do I look so grumpy in that picture? Is it because I have just been overtaken by a fellow ultra runner? And is the guy so happy for the same reason?













Secondly, I told it was windy!

















And remember how I kept going on about the fact that I could not lift my knees any more? I think that picture was taken somewhere between miles 30 an 34, and look how close my foot is above the road surface, and I don't think it's because I'm about to set it down again. I lifted the knees as far as I could, but that was all I could manage. The same thing is also noticeable in the first photo.

Recovery continues, and I'm feeling better by the day. My quads are a little bit less stiff with each run, and my left hamstring is getting better, too. On Thursday it hurt after 2 miles, on Friday after 3, on Saturday after 4, and today after 4 again but that disappeared half a mile later. I ran 7 miles today, because I had a peek into Pfitz's book and his schedules for 2 marathons 8 weeks apart. I won't be following that schedule (I want to do some extra tempo runs for the half marathon in 3 weeks if my legs come around quickly enough), but I figured I can still get some pointers from it. I felt pretty good today, but was surprised to see the pace creep below 8:00. It felt easy. If only 8-minute-miles would have felt equally easy after mile 10 last Sunday. Oh well. Time to move on, I guess.

I have noticed a change in my attitude. Ever since recovering from pneumonia I have kept a close eye on my weight, and it used to hover around 143 pounds. I did not diet, but I did eat very healthily and I did deny myself chocolate, biscuits or ice cream most evenings, even when I felt peckish. I've changed my tune since the ultra, I'm eating what I want, and when I want, and feel good about it. The scales still don't show more than 146 pounds, which is still lower than before the pneumonia, and I'm already looking forward to my next piece of chocolate. Yummy! Life's pretty good, really.

I did watch the BBC's coverage of the London marathon today. The men's race was mindbogglingly fast. Simply amazing!
12 Apr
5 miles, 41:46, 8:21 pace, HR 149
13 Apr
7 miles, 55:34, 7:56 pace, HR 152

Weekly mileage: 21

6 comments:

  1. Have a speedy recovery Thomas. I'm with you on the food thing. It's the one bad habit I don't want to give up - while I could lose a few pounds i'd be too grumpy.

    If I was 143 pounds I'd get blown away by the wind!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Thomas, I have been a frequent lurker on your blog. I posted on championseverywhere a few times, but since Mike isn't actively blogging I guess I'll pester you instead.

    An army travels on it's stomach, and an ultra marathoner races on his. It sounds like you guzzled your drinks and your stomach could not process the carbs. Once you made a pit stop and your stomach settled down you took off like a shot.

    So apart from your last minute speed work I think most of your distress was on account of carb over load. A sour stomach can really slow you down.

    Stay motivated - enjoy your running. Regular readers of your blog know that you are a very talented runner and there are great runs and races in your future!


    Take care,

    Mark in New England

    ReplyDelete
  3. far be if from me to ever wish you ill, but if you could just keep up that 11 min mile pace, with your feet close to the ground (funny, that looks SO familiar), I could totally SMOKE YOU!

    and b) you weigh less than me. that is just so wrong.

    sigh.

    You're an amazing runner, thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas, I'd recommend at least 3-4 weeks before resuming speed and tempo but that being said you'll be very pleased at how strong you will come back. I've had some of my best 10k runs (felt like jogs) 2-3 weeks after marathons on 0 fast running btw. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, are you sure it was windy? I'm thinking it was speed making your hair and shirt blow back - just blazing speed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas, Man I'm really slow, sorry. Actually I read your Ultra report like ten days ago and was I really dissapointed (normally, usually all your race reports were so optimistic). It was a Huge lesson, anyway I say: Congratulations! btw I know what happened - you forgot your mp3 player for Ultra and without that fresh hard&heavy energy you didn't fight as you could ... Kidding. Surely Pneumonia was a main factor.
    A year later you'll be running Boston, but I have no doubts - you'll be back to Connemara! Good Luck with your races.
    P.S. i like those TEMPO workouts you do now. Will try something similar.

    ReplyDelete