Thursday, November 15, 2007

Various Musings

As mentioned, I'm now cycling to work each day. The weather has been pretty benign so far (I know I'll pay for this), but I can definitely feel the effect in my quads. I don't know if that will do anything for my running though (experts' opinions are divided, to say the least).

The other day I carried a few things to work in a rucksack. On the way home, when it was dark already, after 1 mile I suddenly realised that carrying the rucksack on my back will obscure the high-visibility sash I'm wearing. Luckily I managed to fix the bag to the back of my bike.

Niamh must think I'm merely pretending to cycle to work, and secretly have a pick-up truck parked around the corner. Yesterday she gave me a humungous shopping list, of which I eventually managed to fit half into my rucksack, with the other half in a carrier bag precariously dangling from a handle bar. Later in the day she sent me a text message for further shopping items. I had to decline, and explain to her that the amount of stuff I can carry is limited.

Maia is a very easy baby so far, the easiest of the four we've had so far. Her only bad spell so far was on Tuesday evening when she cried a lot, and never seemed to stop. Eventually I put her into the sling and just kept walking her around the house. Eventually she fell asleep. She's been fine ever since, though.

I got up at 4:15 to go running again on Wednesday. The weather wasn't great; it was cloudy and windy, and the cloud cover meant it was literally pitch dark. I love running under the stars with the headlamp switched off, but on that day it was impossible. I tried, and thought I could just about make out the outlines of the road. It worked for a mile or two, and then I inadvertently ran off the road and nearly tumbled down a ditch. I left the lamp on for the rest of the run.

Running in the dark in a wooden area with just your headlamp gives you the impression of running through a narrow tunnel, and it's a bit spooky. When the rain started and further reduced the visibility I started to become claustrophobic; I had the distinct impression of the wall of trees moving into me. Not a nice feeling at all, and I was immensely relieved to reach the end of said wood eventually after what felt like a very long time. I've never experienced anything like that before. The run itself was fine though, and I finished it strongly. I was a lot more relaxed on the last miles, once I was out in the open.

I wore the basic shoes again today for my 10 miler. The first thing I noticed is that I can feel every stone through the soles. The expensively cushioned shoes are definitely more comfortable. I haven't weighed those shoes yet, but I think they are lighter than my usually trainers. They gave me a small blister on the balls of my left foot though, but that's manageable. In any case, I had a good run. I increased the pace after the turnaround point, accelerated a bit more half-way towards home, and ran the last mile yet faster again. I concentrated on running relaxed and well within my aerobic parameters, though. The last mile took 6:54, which isn't bad for me, considering it's about 50 feet net uphill and I made sure that my breathing was always fully under control.

I'm not sure if I can keep up with those 4:15 am starts. I'm knocked out in the evening, and I never really get the opportunity to catch up on sleep. Maybe the weekend will help. I'll stick with the new routine for the time being and hope I'll adapt.
14 Nov
15.5 miles, 1:58:39, 7:39 pace, HR 149
last 5 miles @ 7:25 pace, last one @ 6:57
15 Nov
10 miles, 1:13:40, 7:22 pace, HR 151
5-mile splits 37:33, 36:06 (7:30, 7:13 pace), last mile @ 6:54

3 comments:

  1. No tumbling down ditches allowed, those adorable kids of yours need you.

    (More pics, please!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the easiest of the four" I think you and Niamh have become pros now thats why she seems the easiest.

    becareful out there

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean regarding the claustrophobic feeling in the woods (we’ve been having similar experiences of late). Since moving to our new house one of two routes back takes me through two miles of narrow dark trails.

    Good luck with the early run schedule, I imagine it’ll be tough until it becomes routine. What is it “they” say, three weeks?

    ReplyDelete