Thursday, November 29, 2007

Contrasting Sleep Patterns

I was half-dead on Wednesday. I had a few things to do on the computer, and didn’t get them finished until after 10 o’clock. As a result, when the alarm went off at 4 am, I had gotten considerably less than 6 hours of sleep. For a split-second I contemplated binning the workout, but of course I got up and went out for 17 miles. My thigh felt a lot better still, during the first half it only hurt on the downhill stretches, and during the second half it only started hurting when I tried to run faster over the last 5 miles, which is why I held back again. While the run had gone well, I was knocked out for the rest of the day, a deep-seating fatigue had taken hold of me and would not relinquish its grip.

I must have looked as bad as I felt, because Niamh basically sent me to bed before 9 o’clock. This is almost funny, because on several evenings I would have liked to go to bed earlier but wanted to spend some time with Niamh instead; after all, that’s the only time we really have to spend together. If I had realised that she preferred me to catch up on sleep, I would have done so. Anyway, I did read for a few minutes and then was fast asleep before even 9:30, and as a result got close to 8 hours of sleep before the alarm went off at 5 o’clock. The difference this made was amazing, I was almost reborn today, not just for the run (though that had gone very well, too), but for the entire day. I’ll heed that lesson. Sleep is vital.

I have noticed that I’m getting fewer comments than I used to, which is obviously related to the fact that I’m writing a lot fewer comments on other people’s blogs. I just don’t have the time at the moment. I’m still reading all those blogs via bloglines, but mostly as a lurker. I’ll definitely keep my own blog going, it keeps me honest, and reading all those running blogs is a very big part of keeping me motivated to do my own training. I’m sure there will be a time when I can participate a bit more actively again, most likely when Maia is a little bit older.

The temperatures have picked up considerably since last weekend, it’s now around 10C/50F again, but with plenty of wind and the occasional rain shower. Tomorrow’s forecast is pretty bad, I expect to get wet. On Wednesday a torrential downpour had started just as I was about to leave for my run. It made me wait 5 minutes until the worst was over, but of course I got cold and wet early on. If the weather people are right, tomorrow will be at least as bad. Wish me luck.
28 Nov
17 miles, 2:11:48, 7:45 pace, HR 143
last 5 in 36:40 @ 7:22, last mile in 7:08
29 Nov
10 miles, 1:17:45, 7:46 pace, HR 139

7 comments:

  1. Getting out of bed that early to run in the cold and wet should be more difficult than you make it sound. Although I did get up an hour earlier this morning to run (0440hrs) - purely by accident though, some of my timepeices are still on summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - please keep up the blog! There are some of us who don't, but really enjoy reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed about the comments dropping off as well, on almost everyone's blog. I don't know if there is a 'sophomore slump' going on or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unless you are a saint, I suspect it wasn't how you looked that had Niamh sending you to bed. Probably had a little bit more to do with being tired and cranky...that's how it affects the runners at our house anyway!

    Also, I think this is a busy time of year - comments are dropping everywhere, though I do think that how much a person comments has an effect as well. I do the same thing when I get busy - read without commenting. Keep the post coming and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi thomas,
    read your blog for the first time today,it makes very good reading:how you mike, eric all get up so early to face a long run amazes me,it reminds me of when i was a paper boy many years ago being woken from a beautiful deep warm sleep by my horrible big ben alarm clock,aaaahhh !!!
    wakening to the sound of driving rain smashing into the window on a very dark cold,windy and wet early morning! that first step was the hardest,but what a hard step to take,like stepping off a high diving board for the very first time!!!
    with all the mileage you are doing thomas am sure you must be on the way to a sub 3 hour marathon soon.good luck to you and many happy miles running, rick

    ReplyDelete
  6. you and i are in the same boat. i'm not commenting as much and reading everything via bloglines...in your case, though, you're still blogging almost every day. i'm still readin' ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You caught me lurking... Keep up the good running and I know how you feel on those tired days!

    ReplyDelete