Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Sling

That’s as close as I'll ever come to feeling what it’s like being pregnant, carrying the baby in the sling. You’ll have to take my word for it, she’s in there.
















That’s what it looks like from my point of view. I know I'm biased, but isn't she gorgeous?

Oh, I forgot again. That’s the Diary of a Rubbish Marathon Runner, not of a Besotted Dad. Actually, she’s turning me into someone else. All of a sudden I find myself listening to the likes of Gary Jules and Joshua Kadison rather than my usual fare of Iron Maiden and AC/DC. What’s happening to me? I don’t remember that kind of stuff happening with the other three children. I have to say though, she’s a very good baby. She hardly ever cries, and she sleeps soundly, including during the nighttime. Unfortunately, she’s the only well-behaved child in the house at the moment. I realise that the other three are feeling a bit left out at the moment, but boy, that’s hard to remember after a whole weekend of misbehaviour.

Anyway, let’s mention the running as well. I did take it easy on Saturday, and ran at my slowest for quite some time. I’m also experimenting with a new pair of shoes, some cheap, basic ones. I want to see how my feet react to something like that, but I’m being cautious and won’t wear them more than once a week for the time being, and wear my usual cushioning ones (Asics Nimbus and Mizuno Wave Rider) for the other days. The Wave Riders are extremely comfortable, by the way. I used to love the Nimbus 8, but am a lot less fond of the 9s, which is why I bought the Mizunos, and for the time being it’s a love affair, but we’ve only covered about 60 miles together so far.

I ran the same 10 miles today, but a bit faster again. My legs felt great after the easy day, and after a slow start I just started to get faster as the run wore on. I was still running relaxed after 8.5 miles and started to push it a lot harder for the rest of the way. Some people advocate finishing your runs strongly, others are against it, and I’m undecided if it’s beneficiary or not. In any case, I ran the last (uphill) mile in 6:30, and felt good about it.
10 Nov
10 miles, 1:22:15, 8:13 pace, HR 147
including 10x100 strides
11 Nov
10 miles, 1:14:49, 7:29 pace, HR 154
last mile in 6:30


Weekly Mileage: 78

11 comments:

  1. Ahhh, what a cutie. We never really did that well with the sling, but you seem to wear it well.

    Good running with all the commotion. I gotta ask, which cheap shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost embarrassed to say, they are cheap no-name ones from a discount store. They're quite flexible, and, as it said on the tag, "basic".

    I know some people run in minimalistic shoes. I'm more curious how my feet will react than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great there Dad! We had sling thing called a Snuggly that worked the same way. I remember how warm they were and that they'd sleep well.

    I'm very partial to my Mizuno wave riders, now on my 25th pair and usually get 600-700 miles on them. Have you seen the Loco shoes only available on the web? On my 1st pair and like them so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I'm loving the Besotted Dad posts and hope they keep coming. It's fun hearing about new life and the soft side of Thomas.

    You are very brave with the basic shoes - I've had so many problems I'd be scared to try them. Keep us up on the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute. I remember carrying our babes around in a Baby Bjorn--a soft chest carrier. Those were some good times (sore back, but good times).

    I'm curious to see how your shoe experiment turns out. I've read a few studies that compared 'basic' shoes with the high-end, name-brand trainers and found that the basic shoes often had better shock absorption and stability than the expensive high-tech shoes.

    Don't be embarrassed about cheap-o shoes--I think you're on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww! I loved carrying Ash in the sling, although I'm not so sure HE enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, that's so sweet, looks so tiny. No, keep these baby post coming, I don't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED carrying the kiddos in our sling. Great memories there. It's when they grow legs and start moving on their own that you've got trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures of your new daughter. They're so cute at that age.

    Nice job getting outside for a few good runs with everything going around you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course she's gorgeous!

    I'd say strong or fast finishes are OK for some runs, but I'd recommend a mile or two of very easy cool-down type running afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're the best dad! i love besotted dad too. keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete