Friday, May 04, 2007

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

God, I’m tired. And that’s while tapering. Just imagine what would happen if I had gotten up running at 6am instead of sleeping in for another 2 hours. Well, one hour; Shea woke me at 7 am, and I couldn’t get back to sleep after that. The reason for that tiredness is that I had to drive the 90 miles plus to Shannon last night to collect my mum from the airport. It was a late flight anyway, and then it was delayed by 30 minutes. It could have been worse, I guess, they had taken off an hour late, but apparently the pilot had managed to cut that deficit by half. Of course I had to drive all the way back home, and didn’t get to bed before 2 am. That’s so far past my usual bedtime it’s unreal.

I did manage yet another tempo run on Thursday. I’ve done so many of them in the last two weeks that I’ve lost count (no, I haven’t, actually. I’ve managed 6). This one followed the sequence of improvements like all its predecessors, and I managed to slice a few seconds of Tuesday’s time. During the first two warm-up miles the legs felt seriously tired, and I resolved to cut the tempo segment from 4 to 3 miles. Except that when I got to the point in question I just continued on for another half mile, and ran my usual 4 fast miles. It made it easier to compare the effort with all the previous ones, I guess. I’m quite pleased with the way my pace has improved over the last 2 weeks, and I think I’m ready for sub 1:30. I don’t know yet how much those hills will cost me, but my training routes aren’t exactly flat either, and I believe I’ll be fine.

The weather has been really nice the last couple of weeks, which is great news for mum, because she’s never seen Kerry in really nice weather before. It’s a slight worry for my race on Sunday, but would you believe it, that’s the day for which they were forecasting rain. They have since retracted that prediction, and their latest guess is overcast, 13C/55F. Perfect! No excuses. Just go out and run. I’ll let you know how it went.

3 May: 8 miles, 59:12, 7:24 pace, avg. HR 162, incl. 4 miles in 26:25 (6:36 pace)

9 comments:

  1. Nice work on the tempo run.

    Have a great race this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas,
    Best of luck and have a great run. Hope the weather holds for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great race Thomas. The 1/2 is my favorite distance. Pace is just below 10k, if you're gasping, then your going too hard. Save it for the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the race! I love the half because you can truly run with your best effort for the entire distance. By "your" I mean the pace at which you can run and survive to the finish line. Go get em! Run your race! Love2run has it right. Don't leave any energy out on the course.

    Tell your mum that Eric and Michelle from Washington State say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What ever the weather is on Sunday, you'll rock! Can't wait for the race report.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck this weekend. Really does look like your going to ace that PR. Looking forward to reading about it!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas,

    Have a great run on Sun. I always have those heavy and tired feet in the warm up run. But at the end, they always turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck out there, Thomas! Actually it's not luck. You've worked hard.

    ReplyDelete