Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sniffles

After feeling so good on Monday, the week has been pretty tough so far. This could be down to the fact that I have increased my mileage again, but from today I’ve got a new and more convincing explanation. I’ve got a sore throat, a headache and the general feeling of unwellness that comes with that sort of thing; in other words I’m coming down with a cold. As long as it stays above the neck I’ll run through it, as always, and hope that it goes away soon. I’ve started taking Vitamin C, which usually keeps them at bay. In a way I’m relieved, because it explains why I’ve felt like crap for the last three days, and it’s not because of my training.

Since I’m bumping up my mileage, my midweek runs are getting longer. Wednesday called for 13 miles, which meant another early wake-up call. The run itself went well enough, once I got past the first 2 miles. The weather conditions are pretty decent at the moment, though I could do with less wind. For some unknown reason the soles of my feet started hurting towards the end of the run. I felt like running on hot coals, which is something that happened once or twice before, and I don’t know why. It didn’t really interfere with my stride, but it made for an uncomfortable second half of the run.

Since Wednesday’s run had been on the long side, today was one for a bit more pace. I wasn’t sure if I would be up for it initially. Immediately after getting up the main thought in my head was how the constant early mornings are getting to me, and how I would love to sleep in on some occasions. But the weekend isn’t far away, and from next Wednesday on we will be on holiday, and then the early sessions will be on hold, at least for a fortnight. I don’t even know if I will be able to drag myself out onto the road while we’re away, but I’ll definitely bring my gear.

Anyway, the first two miles felt rather bad again, the legs didn’t want to turn over and the rest of the body wasn’t too enthusiastic either, but after I had warmed up and increased the pace things fell into place and the next 6 miles went by a lot quicker. I’m never quite sure of my exact pace (no garmin, and my built-in speedometer isn’t that good yet) but I guessed it would be around 7:15 to 7:20 pace, a fact I later confirmed when I calculated my pace. This is close to my planned marathon pace in October. Did it feel fast? Sure. Would I be able to run this for 26 miles? Of course not, not at the moment. Will I be able to do so in October? I’m hopeful.

But let’s get that cold out of the way first. Shea had it too, I think, and it didn’t last long.

23 May: 13 miles, 1:42:54, 7:54 pace, avg. HR 149
24 May: 8 miles, 59:13, 7:24 pace, avg. HR 156

4 comments:

  1. Thomas,
    That bottom of the feet thing - I've had that happen kind of randomly before and I've wondered if it's from a load of laundry that just got a bit too much detergent in it. Maybe it's not completely rinsed out and causes irritation. I know that a change in laundry soap has caused me problems, so I figure I'm sensitive to that. It's an idea, anyway. Sorry to hear about your cold - keep the Vit C up - it'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas,

    I read your preivous post about overtraining. The fact is true that you won't know how far you can go until you go too far.

    I myself experience this personally as well.

    I also think you have to push yourself hard and sometimes just a bit over the edge. Hopefully then I learn what it feels like to overtrain and next time will back myself down before i push too much.

    This is very interesting concept in which we are always training and growing and at the same time gauging how much intensity/stress we have to add so our body can continuous improve.

    It seems like you are doing a good job considering you put down 'no injury' as one of your resolution.

    For this year, my goal is also no injury as well. So far, no burn out and no injury :). No complain!

    Hope you feel better from the sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a long time until October. You've got plenty of time to lock into that pace for long mileage runs.

    Just get over that cold first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're feeling better by now. If you keep running the mileage you've been running and stay healthy you will be able to hold that pace for 26.2.

    ReplyDelete