Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Decision

I have signed up for my next marathon, and Loch Ness it is. From what I’ve heard I have to take back anything I said about it being a fast course, apparently it’s quite hilly. I still went with that instead of Berlin, because I’m allergic to Big City events, I much prefer smaller races. It’s not exactly tiny either, last year they had over 2000 participants for the marathon alone. My major concern about Berlin was that I might get stuck in the crowd, and I hate having to weave around people, it feels like such a waste of energy. In any case, the flight connections from here to Scotland are better than to Germany, and I might be able to meet some friends while I’m over there.

As I’ve said, I’ve now signed up and I’m very much looking forward to it. I’m dumb enough to publicly mention a time goal, and it will be 3:10, which equates to 7:15 pace. I definitely think that I will be able to pull that off five months from now, and if I miss that then a fallback will be 3:15:59, which is the Boston qualifying time for someone of my increasingly advanced age. I don’t actually plan on running Boston, but I would love to have the BQ badge. And if I do manage to qualify, then who knows, I might change my mind. It might be an experience to run close to someone wearing a pair of shorts with a maple leaf and protruding stem, as Andrew pointed out so succinctly.

The last two runs were rather contrasting, Monday’s 10 miles just flew by as I managed to tune into the easy zone and let the feet do their own thing. I did add some strides on the backstretch, which slightly upset my rhythm, but I still ran the second leg faster than the first one. But after Monday evening’s strenuous gym session I felt a lot worse today and had to strain to keep at sub-8 pace. I know I said only one post ago that I would not force the pace if the legs don’t feel like it, but the lungs felt fine, the heart rate was low, it really was only the legs that didn’t play ball. I'll have to think about the gym; running 100 high mileage might be tough enough, to add some additional exercise could prove too much. The overall pace of about 7:50 is not particularly out of the ordinary, but I did the first 3 miles in 8:20 and the home stretch in 7:20, which isn’t exactly even pacing. I probably should have slowed down and just accepted an 8-plus overall pace. One day I’ll learn that lesson.

14 May: 10 miles, 1:19:02, 7:54 pace, avg. HR 149, incl. 10x100 strides
15 May: 6 miles, 47:03, 7:50 pace, avg. HR 152, sluggish feeling

12 comments:

  1. When is the race?

    2000-5000 is an ideal marathon size in my book. There are enough people to run in packs, but not too many to get crowded.

    "Loch Ness Marathon" sounds totally cool. Do they have a triathlon there? We could go swimming with Nessie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd get registered right away from the way it's filling up. It's good to pick a race and time goal up front to give you the extra incentive to work hard. When you come to Boston 'the shorts' will be ready to cruise with your Irish green outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 3:10 is a very good goal. No need for a fall back. Worse case: you don't make the time, and we've all been there.

    In my experience, 7:15 is one of those great paces where it just seems "right". You know, smooth. Not too fast but definitely racing. And racing a marathon is the best thing there is.

    Plus once, you're 3:0x you'll be pumped to try for sub 3. It only took me 5 tries after my 1st BQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas,

    If u did BQ, i say you have to do it....i know with family responsiblity, it is not easy..but u definitely work hard to get the qualification.

    Thanks for the reminder about the time for my marathon. I guess I am just a bit frustrated b/c I never go hard so I don't know how fast i can go.

    Now with Ironman training, I am pretty sure my aerobic base is wide. I love to see what my body can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think 3:10 is doable, even at your advanced age (geez - where does that leave me - where's my wheelchair). You have been steadily improving, you'll do it! Go to Boston, if you have a Porsche in the garage and you get your drivers license you wouldn't leave the car in the garage, right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing people set BIG goals. You will reach it no doubt.

    I have done marathons in the 25,000 range and did not like it. Too many people!! You picked a great size race for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just a matter of time (so funny...I know. You're absolutely capable of 3:10. You have morphed into a machine. I want you to know right here and now...that if you qualify for Boston, I will attempt the same and see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. woo hoo - you know I approve of anyone going to scotland! I'll ask my running relatives if they've got any tips on the race for you.

    Not that i doubt that you could make that 3:10, but I find it fascinating when people have the confidence to state something like that - which is a big jump over your PR, on a hilly course. I don't hear/read many women being so confident, it seems to be a 'man thing.'

    You are an inspiration. Now I can't wait to train for my race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to run Loch Ness with you! Sounds like a great run! I suppose around mile 25 they may have a number of sightings of the monster Nessie in the lake.

    Boston is totally worth doing the work to qualify for. You will feel like a rock star when you run this race. I suppose that could be a problem considering your alergy to big city events but with 500,000 fans cheering you on you could be cured!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So what are you going to do between now and October? I can't imagine you going into an 8 week base building regime.

    I took a look at the route. It certainly looks like a lot of fun and although the web site didn't include an elevation chart that I could find, I imagine that all those curvy roads mean lots of hills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thomas, you'll do 3:10 easy and then I would say judging by the comments that it will be almost impossbile for you to say no to Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  12. when you get to boston, i'll be coming to see you!

    ReplyDelete