Monday, October 28, 2019

Iron

If you remember, a couple of months ago I used an oximeter and found a rather low reading for the oxygen saturation of my blood. I'm perfectly aware that this was not an official diagnosis and I'm definitely not a doctor but I reckoned some iron supplementation was worth trying out.

I took the liquid iron supplement that I had used at some point in the past, which I know I tolerate without any issues, and I just took a daily dose. I tested again the other day and my reading has returned to a normal value. However, what is much more important is that I am feeling so much better these days! I don't notice much difference in day-to-day life, that was always going fine anyway, but I sure notice the difference when I'm running. I am running about 30 seconds per mile faster than a couple of months ago for the same effort level, and running feels much easier, definitely after covering a few miles. Running to or from work used to feel rather long and sometimes I wasn't really looking forward to it but all of a sudden it feels much easier.

On a couple of days I had the feeling of floating over the road without effort, which is what running used to be like but stopped at some point.

Was all of the slump over the last 2 or 3 years just down to me being anemic? I don't want to get my hopes up that I found the issue, and it's not just getting old, but somehow I can't help think there might be a glimmer of hope I might get back up to a better level, maybe not quite where I used to be but better than what the last few years were like.

It got rather cold, but I actually love that, and it got dark, which isn't quite so great but I got my new headlamp and hopefully I'll get through this winter without falling over and injuring myself.

And of course, well done to all finishers in the Dublin marathon, I'm sure sooner or later I'll be back to that race again myself, and to all the athletes who participated in the 24 hrs world champs in Albi, I'm pretty sure I won't be back for those.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear Thomas. All the best for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete