Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Mayo and Me

As I was cycling into work this morning, it occurred to me: I'm just like Mayo.


No, not the condiment.

The Mayo Gaelic football team!



In fact there are two striking similarities.

One, just like Mayo I have come second more often than I care to remember. Not that coming second is particularly bad, it's better than third, fourth or any number following thereafter. But if you've come second (or third) about 10 times as often as you managed to top the podium, it kinda sucks.

Second, just like Mayo I keep finding new and interesting ways to fuck things up. They might miss last minute frees, I keep get overtrained, and always in a slightly new and novel way.

I managed it so damn quickly this time, I'm almost impressed. I didn't even do any fast intervals, there were just 2 workouts of any note, but couple that with running too hard on my easy days and too hard on my long days and too hard on the workout days and Boom! in yet another hole.

I can't even explain why I did that workout on Monday when I knew from the very first step that it was going to be bad. I guess my biggest strength is tenacity bordering on stubbornness, not mental flexibility, which also makes stubbornness my biggest weakness.

The workout was shit, running on tired legs, slower than only a few days earlier and feeling knackered afterwards.

On Tuesday I ran into work, which counts as my long run, and I felt surprisingly good. Until I finished and took a look at the watch and was shocked by slowly I had run. It's not that I finally found my long run groove - I could have sworn I had run at least 30 seconds per mile faster. So I ran slowly and it didn't even feel that slow. That's when I knew I was digging myself into yet another hole.

So, what are we going to do about it?

On Wednesday I didn't run at all. With work commitments, a run would have been awkward to fit into the day, not that that usually stops me, but in this case it was a welcome break. And I'll refrain from workouts for a bit. We'll see how quickly it takes to feel better again. Just take it easy.

20 Aug
4.95 miles, 39:16, 7:56 pace, HR 156
   3 miles @ 7:27 pace, HR 163
21 Aug
10.2 miles, 1:30:46, 8:53 pace, HR 145
22 Aug
0

2 comments:

  1. Been there more than once.take a day off every second day and you will be fine providing you run Berlin easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to gauge it at times Thomas. Sometimes we don't listen to the body enough and that can be our downfall. Great post.

    ReplyDelete