Wednesday, July 25, 2018

On The Road Again

And so, last Saturday, exactly three weeks after the race in Irdning, I made my comeback.

The first 100 meters down from our house are steep downhill and felt easy enough. Then the road flattens out and it immediately started to get a lot more challenging. You sure lose a lot of fitness in three weeks! The first mile was slow, ponderous, painful, all the things I knew it would be, but within 10 minutes the muscle memory started to come back and I even started to get into some sort of flow, slow and creaky as it was.

Three miles were enough for a first run. Enough even to get the hamstrings sore.

I did 4 the next day, dodgy hamstrings or not, and that was already pushing my luck so I backed down to 3 the next day. And then I spent an entire day not running - my legs were sore enough to warrant a day off (already!) and it would have been awkward to fit in a run into my day anyway (not that that ever stopped me before).

I was planning on doing 4 again today but misremembered the length of that loop and it ended up close to five. Ah well. I got trough it. I ran that one too fast as well - I find it impossible to gauge my pace at the moment.

All that will come back soon.

I don't have any real plans at the moment. I'll just run for fun. I think I'd like to start concentrating on shorter distances, and with a parkrun on not far from here every Saturday that sounds like a good option at the moment. Mind, I might change my mind as soon as I have to do my first interval - speed training was never really my thing, quite possibly to my disadvantage. As I said, let's see. I just want to have fun for now.

21 Jul
3 miles, 25:33, 8:31 pace, HR 151
22 Jul
4+ miles, 35:19, 8:40 pace, HR 152
23 Jul
3+ miles, 25:03, 8:14 pace, HR 150
24 Jul
0
25 Jul
4.8+ miles, 38:22, 7:55 pace, HR 156

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you're back! And me too, after only running 17k in 2017 and not running till February of this years, now I'm back! Today was the first run which felt like a run and not just a jog:) I'm glad to find your blog again for inspiration, all the best in Berlin!!!

    ReplyDelete