Monday, July 16, 2018

Old, Tired and Fat

I vaguely remember once being a runner.

I haven't run a single step since Irding and what's more, I still don't feel like running. So I don't. I'm sure the urge to put on the shoes will return eventually but I sure won't force it.

It's not just laziness. After the race we spent another week in Austria on holidays, and a bloody nice part of the world it is, too. We came home on Friday into our new house. The Ikea delivery had arrived and I spent Saturday making 4 beds, 1 table and 6 chairs, and I had the blisters on my hand to prove it, as well as sore legs from kneeling all day.

On Sunday, I was off to the states, for a one week of very intense training, for the brain that is, not the body. I did bring some exercise gear. They had a gym in the hotel; I even had a look around on my first day. Then I went back into my room and the gear remained untouched.

The training was intense, all day every day and we even had additional functions every evening bar one, which was the once chance to see Seattle. It sure looks like a great city, I really liked it. But what stood out was the quality of the food we were served, which was just outstanding. I can't blame American portion sizes because it was always a buffet and nobody forced me to go back for three helping each time, or to ravish all those little treats they at served each break. I have never eaten so much food as last week, and coupled with the lack of exercise I put on a solid 10 pounds, though that was since the race, so not all just the American food.

Oh, and I never slept. My body steadfastly refused to adapt to Pacific time and at 4 am I was wide awake, every single time, no matter what time I went to bed, no matter the fact that I tried to force the issue and kept myself awake until midnight in forlorn hope that I would sleep for linger due the sheer exhaustion - I never slept more than 4 hours a night. That can't be healthy, thankfully it was just for a week. When I came home I slept for 10 hours on Sunday, had some breakfast and promptly went back to bed and slept for 3 more hours. I don't think I've slept so much since about the age of 2. I guess it goes some way of explaining why I still don't feel like exercising, my body is knackered enough even without.

I really struggled to cycle to work on Monday, not helped by the fact that I carried all my work paraphernalia with me in a really heavy backpack.

I vaguely remember once being a runner.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll be flying along those Dublin roads again in no time Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I vaguely remember once being a runner."

    The first lines of a runner making a comeback.

    Mystery Coach

    ReplyDelete