Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Recovery

I haven't got all that much to say right now, except that recovery from Dingle is going really well, much better than anticipated.

How you recover from a workout tells you more about your conditioning than how the workout itself went, and as pleased as I was with the run in Dingle, this is even better news.

I was a bit sore on Sunday, no surprise here. I did the usual 5-mile recovery run to Ar-na-Sidhe, which is what I always do after a marathon. On Monday I was back in Dublin and since traffic has gotten exponentially worse since schools started again I swapped my routine of running at home and then driving to work around by first driving to work and then run a few miles near my work place. Thankfully they have showers at work! Even so, the commute took me twice as long as it should have, even at 7 o'clock in the morning.

There are actually plenty of running options in and around Ringsend; I chose to run towards Poolbeg, turning round after 2.5 miles. I did more of the same on Tuesday, except that I left home 15 minutes earlier, which took 10 minutes off the commute, which I used to run towards Poolbeg again but this time all the way out to the lighthouse. It was actually further than I thought it would be (that sea wall really is long!) and I ended up with 8 miles on the day. By now the legs felt much better, there was just a trace of soreness left in the right quads, and that was barely noticeable. Still, just to be sure I'm not overdoing it I stepped back to 5 miles on Wednesday morning, this time heading up the Dodder towards Herbert Park.

By now the legs feel fully recovered and the HR this morning was significantly better, the best numbers in this cycle so far, which was really good to see.

I'll re-start my running commute tomorrow morning. That will be a relieve. I hate being stuck in traffic!

Oh, and Dingle Marathon have replaced their Facebook cover photo with the one of the 3:30 group I used in my race report. Very nice!
4 Sep
5 miles, 41:39, 8:20 pace, HR 142
5 Sep
8.15 miles, 1:07:21, 8:16 pace, HR 143
6 Sep
5.5 miles, 44:09, 8:02 pace, HR 141

No comments:

Post a Comment