Friday, November 29, 2013

Morituri Te Salutant

Ah sweet Jesus, what is it about the Irish and not taking "no" for an answer. I ran the cross country last year and not only did I not particularly enjoy it, I also ran really badly. It was akin to one of those dreams when you run and run and run and you're barely moving. I told the club secretary in no uncertain terms that for next year he'd have to find another victim.

He must have forgotten because he started badgering me again and of course I refused. And then some other club mate got into the act, and then we might not get a team together if I don't run and wouldn't you know it, now I'm signed up, not entirely sure how that happened. Last year, when I got handed my backside to me in such a big way it was Kerry only and the novices at that. On Sunday I'll be competing against the cream of Munster's masters, though I'm using the word "competing" in a rather loose way, as in I'll try not to get lapped twice.

Ah Ferchristsakes. This is going to suck. And it's messing up my training. And why on Earth am I whining so much?

Running, road running that is, has been going very well the last few days. I'm definitely feeling a lot better than a few weeks ago and I'm starting to get that "effortlessly floating over the tarmac" kind of feeling again. I ran 10 miles on Wednesday, just do do something different than the usual 8 miles, and was actually quite excited by that fact. Yes, I need to get out more. The pace has dropped remarkably since Sixmilebridge at the same easy effort. The weather has been unusually nice, normally I'm running through 4 degrees and wind and rain at this time of the year; this morning I seriously wondered if I should wear a t-shirt again, though I wasn't quite brave enough for that at the end. In short, it's all really good. And then there comes Sunday ...

27 Nov
10 miles, 1:16:53, 7:41 pace, HR 142
28 Nov
8 miles, 1:00:47, 7:35 pace, HR 142
29 Nov
8 miles, 1:01:21, 7:40 pace, HR 143
   including a few strides

2 comments:

  1. You probably did well last year, that's why they want you in. It's just that cross country seems so bloody slow in comparison to road running... Well, good luck on Sunday, or take a rain check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you do the vast majority of your training on road you'll be fine tuned to make the most of elastic recoil and can float along effortlessly.

    Get onto rough, soft ground of a cross country race and you’ll loose much of you efficiency and have to resort to using much more power for a given pace. It'll be a bit like a big slog uphill even when on the flat. This all makes it a big stressor of you aerobic fitness, but relatively low impact one. While it might not be ideal timing wise it could still make a good workout.

    Cross country races are hard but fun too, it provides a good excuse for playing in mud and streams with a bit of friendly racing thrown in. Best of luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete