Sunday, November 06, 2011

Back To Work Tomorrow

Thanks to Niamh for reminding me. I was just enjoying a beautiful sunny Sunday. Taking the week off was great, and once again we managed to leave before the grandparents were about to throw us out. It would be nice if the boys stopped fighting for a second, imagine the peace and quiet that would come over this family.

The week was of course all about recovering from the Dublin marathon. I had planned on taking a couple of days off, but the legs felt fine and the sunny weather on Tuesday called me out onto the road. Since then I have taken it reasonably easy, and I was surprised how quickly the pace has returned. After previous marathons I would not have dreamed of running 7:30 pace again within less than a week, this time it just happened. But I can clearly feel that the quads have not recovered yet. The pain is long gone, but they still feel distinctly heavy. Maybe I should have run a tad slower over the last few days.

Maia has now celebrated her 4th birthday and never misses an opportunity to remind us that she is now a Big Girl. Her mother once again surpassed herself in the cake making department, even Maia was impressed for once, and that's not an easy thing to do, believe you me. It's incredible how quickly they grow up. Not only can I vividly remember the day she was was born, her brothers and sister can too.

A week away in Dublin meant a week away from my weighing scales. I was slightly apprehensive stepping on it again. I had serious cravings for sweets the day after the marathon, then there was Maia's birthday and finally they had particularly yummy chocolate in the shop, but the scales tell me that I somehow got away with it. For the first time ever they have me at 10% body fat. If I can manage to leave it at that level over Christmas and drop a few more pounds before Connemara, I'll get closer to my optimum racing weight than ever before.

4 Nov
9 miles, 1:08:26, 7:36 pace, HR 150
5 Nov
10 miles, 1:16:13, 7:37 pace, HR 146
6 Nov
12+ miles, 1:30:05, 7:29 pace, HR 149

Weekly Mileage: 74

2 comments:

  1. Get down to 4% fat and your be flying along like them Kenyan guys :0]

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a cake like that, how could you stop at one piece?

    I feel your pain with the return to work. How well could we run if we didn't have to work?!

    ReplyDelete