Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Random Thoughts

I gained 3 pounds between Friday and Monday despite running a marathon on Saturday and then not having much of an appetite for the rest of that day. This is entirely consistent with any marathon I've ever done; I'm perfectly used to it but still baffled about the reason why this is happening. It's not calories, maybe it's water leaking out of damaged muscles fibres and staying there for a few days as someone once suggested.

Talking about weight reminds me of Richard’s comment
I must weigh at least 30 to 35 pounds more than you so my performances are world class with that sort of handicap.
In other words, he thinks I'm crap.

Someone else left a comment, this time regarding pacing in Dingle
I was pacing using the traditional method of a watch and mile markers, used long before Garmins were invented.
... but he forgot to add “and being told to slow down every other mile or so". That said, I could have done with someone telling me to slow down at mile 11. We covered that in 7:30, the fastest mile of the day by far. It was downhill, but we managed to temporarily lose almost the entire group. Sorry about that. Apart from that glitch, I am very happy with our pacing performance.

Dingle was a great event and fantastically organised, it really is a major shame that there was a glitch in the timing, with some people not being registered. I think it was mainly the half marathon runners that were affected. In the morning I had discussed that very detail with Niamh, along the lines of “timing chips integrated in the number are a great idea” “ ... as long as it works”, which was almost prophetic. Apparently that same timing system had had serious problems at a different local race this year as well – time to get rid, I think. For an event that worked so well on just about every other level, this one problem really sucks.

Niamh and I went for a drive later that day, first up Connor Pass and then around Slea Head, which meant Niamh got a very good idea of the ultra course. “I cannot believe you ran all that!” I take it as a compliment.

She also challenged me to run up Connor Pass on Sunday morning. For a second I actually seriously contemplated doing just that, but in the end sanity won out. I did not run at all on Sunday, but went for a walk up to Eask Tower with Niamh. The views there are absolutely jaw-dropping, it’s highly recommended.

I wasn’t sore at all after the marathon, just a little bit stiff on Monday, and by today, Tuesday, even that is gone. It really was just a comfortable long, slow training run for me. I might do more of that kind.
5 Sep
5 miles, 41:03, 8:13 pace, HR 137
6 Sep
5 miles, 39:57, 7:59 pace, HR 140

4 comments:

  1. Of all the things I think about you Thomas, crap is not one of them. I'm just saying that I shouldn't beat myself up too much about my inability to get close to the low 60's for a 10 miler (as an example). Although, to be fair, most of my problems are mental - I just get distracted too easily (have you read my blog recently?!) which means I tend to accept my limits as oppose to pushing them (I am a prime candidate for joining a club).

    Keep up the good work and more random posts (make the rest of us realise that you're not a running machine).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A headline I recently saw on Dailymile probably sums up what Niamh meant to say after driving the Dingle Ultra Course - "any idiot can run a marathon, it takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultra".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much every race here in the US now uses the integrated chip/bib system with no problems. Sounds like it isn't the technology - just the race organisers!

    Many of the marathons have scanning stations at packet pickup to make sure your chip registers the correct info. That would help prevent those problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had chips in our numbers on Sunday, so I hope it worked. Results come out Thursday. I know my time was missed with the same system last time I ran the Melbourne Half.

    Speaking of weight - was talking to a bloke last night who's a real whippet 46kg (late 50s) - ran 41 for the 10k. I suggested next time we race he carries a 30kg back pack ;)

    ReplyDelete