Wednesday, September 14, 2011

After The Storm

Rather predictably, Ex-Hurricane Katia wasn’t anywhere near as bad as they said, at least here in the South. The weather lady seemed really pleased on Monday that they had correctly predicted wind speeds of over 100 kph in Donegal, so a round of applause to the met office for spotting that hurricane over the Atlantic and subsequently reporting the first reasonably accurate forecast of the year.

I went running on the Ard-na-Sidhe road, which is my usual fallback option when it’s windy, but was a bit hampered by the amount of broken branches on the road, which combined with the low light and my short eyesight made me stumble and trip as if I were on a bear hunt, but I didn’t catch a big one.

Niamh wouldn’t let me cycle to work, though, claiming it to be too dangerous. Maybe it was just another attempt to re-confirm her status as the uncontested ruler of the house, as if that were necessary.

It was still windy on Tuesday, but by Wednesday the calm had returned and I had my most peaceful run in weeks, just me and the road at sunrise, oh, and about a million gnats. I got a good extra helping of protein this morning. I wondered which was the worst fate for these things, drowning in my sweat, being swallowed or being inhaled but didn’t come to any conclusion. Sorry. I didn’t have much else to occupy my mind, apart from suppressing my gag reflex every couple of minutes in order to being able to keep running. The things you learn when running!

The legs felt tired, but more importantly my right shin started hurting with the first step. I expected it to subside soon enough but that never happened. In fact, the area is still sore. It might have been caused by the increased mileage of the last few days. I’ll treat it the same way I always treat those things: I ignore them until they go away, which works for at least 90% of all niggles. Rest? That can wait.
12 Sep
8+ miles, 1:02:37, 7:47 pace, HR 147
13 Sep
10 miles, 1:17:33, 7:45 pace, HR 146
12 Sep
10 miles, 1:18:51, 7:53 pace, HR 147

No comments:

Post a Comment