Sunday, July 10, 2011

Roots

I was a bit worried after Too-Fast Friday's run, knowing that I had a long weekend ahead of me. It was one of MC's favourite tricks, if you overdid it one day you would suffer the next or the day after, and hopefully learn the lesson for the future. I feared I was in for another such tough lesson.

I didn't feel the love in the early Saturday miles, but long runs are always a matter of tuning out the rest of the world, including your own legs, and just get on with it. In some way it helps that the route is so tough - it makes you concentrate on just the next step and never think too far ahead. Well, I managed to run on autopilot again, the legs have gotten used to the hills already and I found it easy enough to decide halfway through to extend the run to 20 miles. Time flew by, before I knew it I had passed our driveway after the first loop, and after an out-and-back section I was back home, still feeling surprisingly good.

I prepared myself an ice bath, much to Niamh's disbelief; she thinks I am punishing myself for some unknown reason. But it did help the legs, I could feel the difference.

Lola is in Valentia at the moment, getting spoiled rotten by her aunties and grandparents, and for some reason looking after only three children is so much easier than four, we both felt like we're finally getting a handle on that parenting thingy. As a result I wasn't as stressed out as I tend to be.

Whether it was for the ice bath, the reduced stress level or simply my fitness, I still felt okay on Sunday. I had expected the pace from Friday to catch up with me by now, and even though the legs were a bit heavy early on again they came round and I was happy enough doing 13 miles through Cromane, including a sojourn along the Spit which brings you almost within touching distance of the Dingle peninsula.

I was particularly pleased with the low heart rate. Even though I made plenty of goofs during this training cycle, I am getting into shape. This training works, I can tell you.

Now, there is a race on Saturday, 15 miles from Moll's Gap to Killarney. I didn't run it last year because it really did not fit into my training for the Dingle Ultra, and I was put off by the high price as well as the stupid name. But there is no denying that the route is absolutely spectacular, and this time I signed up.

Lydiard said that racing during base phase is like ripping out a young plant to see if the roots had been growing. Racing on Saturday may well be a silly thing to do, but since I'm not training for a specific race and just want to run for fun, I'm ok with that I suppose. I need to find out these things for myself anyway and now is a good time to do so.
9 Jul
20 miles, 2:35:07,7:45 pace, HR 148
10 Jul
13 miles, 1:41:35, 7:48 pace, HR 142

Weekly Mileage: 79

1 comment:

  1. Good God man, I wish I was as motivated as you are, particularly during the summer months. Enjoy the race and have fun, after all, isn't that why we run?

    ReplyDelete