Saturday, May 14, 2011

What A Beautiful Day

It's been a spectacular few weeks. First this:



And now this:



35 years of waiting finally over. I can die a happy man.

Oh, and even though Google claim that they fixed all problems on blogger after some idiot had pressed the wrong button, I lost most of the comments for the last post. One of them was particularly insightful:

Stop running, you idiot!

though I'd respect you a lot more had you not hidden anonymously. Incidentally, I saw my doctor yesterday for an unrelated matter and mentioned the knee. After plenty of prodding and poking he decided I have some inflammation in my knee, gave me a prescription for pain killers and told me to stop running for a week or two. Now compare that to my prediction of a doctor's visit and tell me I was right down to the last tee.

Actually, since I felt yet another little twinge in my knee on Thursday, I had already stopped running at that point, believe it or not. Now I'll wait until the pain is gone and then get ready to pace the Cork marathon, which is in 3 weeks' time. I came into last year's Dublin marathon in exactly the same position, worrying about an injury, and came through without problems so I'm hoping for a repeat.

Oh, and one other comment asked which running book I would recommend. If I had to recommend just one book, it would be this one, as long as you're interested in running marathons. It's how I got below 3:30, and I know a good few guys who got a lot faster with the schedules in there.

And now, if you excuse me, I'm off celebrating. Even without my knee I don't think I'd be in condition to run tomorrow morning. Good days.
12 May
6 miles, 45:45, 7:36 pace, HR 147
13 May
0
14 May
0

6 comments:

  1. over the blue moon :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the Canberra Brumbies won a game of Union at last?

    Yeah, the bloody Blogger Google crash has nicked a comment from one of my posts. Hope it's fixed for good! Hopeless catching up on 3 days of reading, especially when some people write 1500 words per post ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't me who wrote that Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "35 years of waiting finally over - I can die a happy man" - I never knew the sub 3 was a childhood dream ;)

    My brother is a City fan since we were kids. I picked West Ham but have long since lapsed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess it was me that left the stop running you idiot comment.I've been following your blog for a few months now and was just being flippant, although when I get an injury its the surefire cure. I'm fessing up to remove any cloud over anyone else.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete