Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fresh and Breezy, Scattered Showers

Being a meteorologist in Ireland must be one of the easier jobs in the world, the above seems to apply 90% of the time and it sure has for the last couple of weeks. I have been reasonably lucky with the rain, Monday was the only day I got thoroughly drenched during a run (though Tuesday I got caught on the bike), but there is no escaping the wind. I even abandoned the otherwise flat and easy Killorglin loop as at the moment that entails running 3 miles into a relentless headwind and somehow that seems to aggravate my knee. That, and running either uphill or downhill. In theory a treadmill might be the best option for me at the moment, but I think I’d rather cut off my leg than suffer through that.

I keep having good and bad days with the knee. Monday was a bad day; after 6 miles I was in agony and went on to moan my way through the next 2 miles, but things improved once I had worked my way through that bad patch. Last week I was running with a knee strap, which definitely made a difference, but unfortunately it also rubbed against the back of my knee. Last Thursday or Friday I finally checked the area and was slightly shocked. We’re not talking about chafing any more, it was basically an open sore and extremely painful to the touch. I left the knee strap at home for a few days, which helped with the open wound but not the injured ligament. Yesterday I started using the strap again and immediately noticed a difference. It’s a balancing act, and so far I’ve just about managed to stay on top.

By now I can hear plenty of you screaming, stop running you idiot. Thing is, I may be stupid but not THAT stupid. If I thought it was a running injury I would have stopped a long while ago. But I'm pretty sure it’s not, and that’s not just wishful thinking. In addition to that, I’m not too keen on going to a doctor. On past experience he/she would send me home after a few questions and plenty of prodding with a prescription for pain killers and the advice to stop running. I could buy pain killers in the pharmacy without prescription if I wanted and paying €50 for advice I’d ignore anyway just does not seem worthwhile.

For treatment I’m doing icing, even though there’s no swelling, so that may well be useless but I suppose it does not do any harm. I'm elevating the knee when I can, and I try not to jump up and down like a deranged lunatic, except when Spurs generously score an own goal to send us into the Champions League. The one thing I think might make the biggest difference was to remove the swivel chair from my desk and replace it with a normal one. Seriously.

And, since you asked, one more thing:
I was just wondering for your opinion on how influential or beneficial your decision to get an online running coach was in achieving your goal. What did you learn most from his input and what are your views on proper, structured coaching?

I am absolutely sure that I would not have broken three hours in the marathon without the coach’s help, so I think it is definitely worthwhile getting a good coach. Only problem is, I think most online coaches are useless, and it’s the “good” bit that you need to get right. There are some good books on running and they will get you pretty far, but to reach your potential you will need a coach that knows what he’s doing and that you trust fully. What did I learn from him? A lot, not least the understanding that there is still a ton of stuff I still do not know about running.

9 May
10 miles, 1:19:06, 7:55 pace, HR 142
10 May
10 miles, 1:16:15, 7:37 pace, HR 152
11 May
10 miles, 1:16:20, 7:38 pace, HR 149

6 comments:

  1. ha ha ha he he he

    ReplyDelete
  2. What running books would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a running injury!!!
    This is self denial in it's most extreme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Doctors are a waste of time, but get yourself to a good sports injury physio as soon as possible.
    Back in my cycling days I started getting increasing knee pain.
    I put off seeing anyone untill it was to late!
    I feared they would tell me to STOP!
    In the end the pain was too much and I had to seek professorial advice.
    But it was too late!
    I'd done massive damage to my knee ligaments and that ended my cycling career!
    Be smart, not like me and seek advice from someone who treats running injuries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stop running you idiot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally with you on not going to the doctor. Generally they have no clue about running injuries and either want to recommend no running or knee surgery!

    Easy running and I'm sure the knee will recover. Just stay away from the hard workouts :)

    ReplyDelete