Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Race Reflections

Before I get sued, let’s rectify one mistake in my race report. Gary has pointed out that he has already run a 2:48 marathon and has a more ambitious target for later this year (I vaguely remember something about a 2:42 marathon?). All the more reason to confirm that he is out of my league, of course (though I’m used to being out of my league, generally. I'm married to Niamh after all).

I found a good few photos of myself (plus a great one of Grellan), thanks to Paudie Birmingham, Andy Gibson, Gearoid O'Laoi and Evin.



As for what this result means for the marathon, I’ll let myself be surprised. In the past I always had to add at least 5 minutes to MacMillan’s predictions, but maybe Mystery Coach can put an end to that. Even so, things are looking good for a sub-3. I know there are plenty of signs that point to an even faster race, but I don’t want to get my hopes up too high. Thing is, if you’re in 2:55 shape you can have a bad race and still break 3 hours, and I'm still going to be happy with anything that starts with a 2.

My legs were not very sore, but what soreness there was is very slow to clear. There is still a sore spot in my left quads that’s very reluctant to budge. Must be old age.

Accordingly, there is very little to report on the running front, I took it easy every day since Sunday and I'm going to take it easy for 2 more days. Training under the coach’s guidance isn’t all about hard work. In fact, it seems to be more about recovery than anything else.

Actually, putting my time and age into the WMA calculator gives me a rating of 75.78 and the equivalent time of 58:34 for a younger man! I did not even realise that I'm so old already that the calculator makes such a difference.

Mind, I did finish 3 places behind Pat O’Shea from Caherciveen, aged 60. He is a former 2:2x marathon runner. No matter what I do, I have never finished ahead of him in any race we’ve both done and there have been quite a few. He’s always just that little bit faster than me and nothing seems to have changed in that regard.

On the way home I did philosophise about always wanting to run a bit faster, no matter what. Running sub-62 over 10 miles was completely out of question until Sunday. Now I’m ruing the fact that I’m so far away from breaking the hour mark, and that the top 100 finish is still as far off as ever. It’s all relative, of course. Jason Reid, who finished in 20th position, is just as rueful about the gap to the top 10 as I am with regards to the top 100. And if we kept following that thought we’d probably kept finding runners that want to go just that little bit faster until we arrive at Kenenisa Bekele.

7 Mar
8 miles, 1:03:32, 7:55 pace, HR 139
8 Mar
8 miles, 1:02:02, 7:45 pace, HR 140
9 Mar
10 miles, 1:18:26, 7:51 pace, HR 140

9 comments:

  1. Looking good for Vienna and the HR and pace for your recovery runs point to a good result in Vienna. Congratulations on the new PB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Ballycotton time is almost a minute faster than my PB in Dungarvan (which is a faster course)during my build for a sub 3 hour in Barcelona - and I was confident of achieving that until injury struck. So keep on the path and the sub 3-hour will be effortless. Sub 2:55 will be the challenging bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recovery... It's all about training SMARTER not HARDER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem with chain letter Thomas! Somebody has to stop these things or their like a fission reaction 8)

    Trying to get you more US readers though 8)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations once again on a great race. It would seem you're very well prepared for your upcoming marathon. It's almost getting to the point where it's not what you do, but what you don't do that's important. I know you can go sub 3-hours, rest up, train well and I look forward to following your (fast) footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope Niamh read this one ;)

    Some good pics - nice sprint finish there too. Love the A/G calculator - I'm happy if I can get above 70%. Have the same problem with my speedy leader Geoff - he's 62 and still finishing ahead, but his 2:26 as a youngster shows he was a handy runner in ancient times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Cautiously optimistic". If I were reading between the lines, that's what I would be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting 'geazered' by a former 2:20 marathoner is nothing to be ashamed of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for printing the retraction. I have instructed my lawyers to stand down. For now... :)

    ReplyDelete