Friday, March 18, 2011

Intervals

For the first time in the entire marathon training cycle, with just over 4 weeks to go before the marathon, the coach sent me out for a classic interval session.
Try 3-? X 800 starting on 5 minutes, (I'm thinking you should be able to run about 2:55 or so without straining) ... the workout will factor a lot of things in together (speed efficiency, recovery capacity, latent fatigue, fuel supply, etc)

I wasn’t too worried, for a start 5:50 pace seemed reasonable enough after the pace I had run in Ballycotton, and three intervals were never going to kill me, though I knew I was going to do more than 3.

It had been raining overnight but it cleared just in time for my run. In marked contrast to previous days it was overcast and a little bit gloomy looking. Maybe that’s why my heart was not really into it as I set off. I did not feel like torturing myself today. Turns out, I did not have to.

Repeats were half a mile each. The odd numbers against the wind, the even numbers with it, but there was very little wind, just enough to notice it when you're trying to run at interval pace against it.

#1: 2:57, avg HR 164, max HR 170, ~80 seconds jog recovery to 130
#2: 2:52, avg HR 167, max HR 173, ~80 seconds jog recovery to 130
#3: 2:54, avg HR 169, max HR 177, ~60 seconds walk recovery to 130
#4: 2:53, avg HR 169, max HR 176, ~55 seconds walk recovery to 130
#5: 2:55, avg HR 171, max HR 177, ~55 seconds walk recovery to 130
#6: 2:52, avg HR 168, max HR 176, ~52 seconds walk recovery to 130
#7: 2:55, avg HR 170, max HR 177, ~55 seconds walk recovery to 130

I was never even close to a maximum effort, every single repeat could have been done faster. The one thing that worried me was the long time for the HR to drop back to 130, which is why I switched from jogging to walking recoveries (walking until the HR reached 130, jogging thereafter).

While never exactly comfortable, I always felt in total control. Neither the pace nor the HR suffered during the later repeats and the one reason I stopped at 7 is that I started to worry about the weekend. The seventh repeat felt pretty much the same as the first.

I think this was the first time I ran an interval session the way it’s meant to be run. There was no need for HOK or dry heaves at the end and I stopped before I had run myself into exhaustion. I’ve never walked away from an interval session feeling good before. Good stuff!


And the coach’s verdict?
no doubt you're in great shape

It feels good to read that, believe you me!

The Glenbeigh St.Partick’s Day parade was mercifully short, which was welcome especially by Cian who was just about to reach his whining threshold as we got to the end, but they all agreed that the bag of sweeties at the end made the entire effort worthwhile. Lola ran one full mile later that day. That’s my girl!







17 Mar
8 miles, 58:00, 7:15 pace, HR 155
8x800+: 2:57, 52, 54, 53, 55, 52, 55, (2:54 avg) felt good, great stuff
18 Mar
10 miles, 1:16:20, 7:38 pace, HR 141

3 comments:

  1. I just got back out for my own 800's this week. Almost the same pace....though only 4x800 and I'm taking a full 2 minute recovery.

    The fact that you were so under control and finished strong should really boost the confidence. I think intervals help more mentally than physically sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I've noticed since you've started being coached, is that there's a lot more quality being incorporated into your program.

    Previously you seemed to favour the quantity approach, which is effective up to a point. However, if you're interested in improving yourself as an athlete it just doesn't cut the mustard.

    In my opinion, you should reap the benefits of this in your target race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know about the comment from Anonymous - there wasn't much 'quality' (intervals, reps etc) in the base phase.

    Anyway Thomas, that looks a good session - pretty easy by the look of the HRs - only getting to 93% of your 190 max. 96-7% would be hard lactate-inducing work. Definitely in good shape for a low/mid 2:50 marathon.

    ReplyDelete