Sunday, February 06, 2011

Like The 63 From Peckham

It’s Sunday afternoon, I'm knackered and I am left in no doubt that, yes, I am training for a marathon. For the first time since starting my training under the coach’s guidance I was doing marathon pace runs, and under MC’s training they are like the London buses I used to take into work, many years ago: you are left waiting forever and then they turn up in pairs.

The storm had stopped blowing around 5 am, to be replaced by the predicted heavy rain. I decided that was fine by me, I prefer rain to wind, even heavy rain.

The instructions for Saturday were clear enough, do whatever you need for warm/up and cool/down and run 7 miles at your present marathon pace, not goal pace, which the coach estimated at 6:57-6:43, basically 6:50 with 7 seconds up or down (6:50 being the estimated present marathon pace). That would be a little bit faster than the evaluations at a HR of about 163-164. Since it was the first one, I could expect it to be tough and I was told not to take too much notice of the numbers.

All that sounded fine and well, but less than half a mile into the supposed MP effort I was left with a dilemma, should I follow the pace or the HR recommendations, because they did not match. I was going a bit faster than 6:20 pace (!!!) with a HR in the high 150s, but it was slightly downhill so I did not take too much notice of the pace. It eventually became clear that I had gone out a bit too hard as the pace did not feel sustainable for 26 miles. I slowed down, only a little bit, which soon started feeling much more comfortable but of course still below the HR the coach had set me. I did not check the HR monitor too often, but every time I looked it seemed to be in the high 150s, only going over 160 on a few climbs. When looking at the chart afterwards I saw that it was a bit higher than I thought. Still, I did the prescribed 7 miles at 6:35 pace, at least 10 seconds per mile faster than would I would have thought of as best-case scenario and with a HR that was lower than the one set by the coach.

But I knew perfectly well that I might have set myself up for a complete disaster on Sunday. That second brief was to start with 10 miles at relaxed pace, 7:30-7:45 (I like that sort of pace being called relaxed, it makes me feel like a half-decent runner), and then 4-5 miles at the same pace as yesterday, with the HR not too much above 167. Considering he does not like to give out numbers, this was a precise as the coach was ever going to be.

The rain wasn’t as heavy as on Saturday but the wind had picked up once more. I decided to run 3 out-and-back loops to Ard-na-Sidhe of 5 miles each. It’s not the most exciting way to get the miles done but it’s my standard route when the wind is too strong. As soon as I set off I knew this would not be easy, yesterday’s fast miles had left their mark. I had my doubts if I would get even close to yesterday’s pace. Despite the sore legs I kept frustrating myself by running too fast, around 7:00 pace, every time I lost concentration. Time and time again I had to put on the brakes and slow down. This only stopped during the second loop when fatigue must have started to creep in. In the end I did the first 10 miles at an average pace of 7:25.

When I passed our driveway for the second time, things got serious and I increased the effort. For three miles, this was tough but do-able. I reckon this was more like the last 5 miles of a marathon than any training I have ever done, and once I passed the 4-mile mark, I was toast. I probably should have left it at that, instead I went on to torture myself for one more mile, almost certainly violating the golden “train, don’t strain” rule, but at the time I wasn’t thinking straight and only thinking about getting this done, no matter what. I averaged a HR of 168 over each of the last 2 miles; if you’re generous you could argue that I did not get “too much above 167”. Looking at the 5 mile segment in one block I ran 6:42 pace with an average HR of 165.

I would have bitten your hand off had you offered me that kind of pace beforehand. Now I’m a bit worried the coach will give me hell for running too hard, but to be honest, I’m feeling rather good about this. Sub-3 in Vienna looks very much achievable all of a sudden.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I woke at 6 am on both mornings and since I had nothing better to do, ate some porridge so that I would have energy for the training runs later on. Normally I run on an empty stomach and it may explain why I ran faster than expected. Maybe.

And if you haven't done so yet, I still highly recommend catching up on the coach's explanation of the evaluation runs, here and here.
5 Feb
10 miles, 1:07:39, 6:46 pace, HR 158
   incl. 7+ miles @ 6:35 pace, HR 162
6 Feb
15 miles, 1:47:37, 7:10 pace, HR 155
   incl. 5 miles @ 6:42 pace, HR 165

Weekly Mileage: 73

9 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog for yonks. Indeed, my gf & I spotted you at both the Cork Marathon '10 & the Dublin Marathon '10. I'm really hoping you break 3 in Vienna. I'm at a 3.15 pb (Dublin '10) at the moment & working towards a Boston Qualifying time in Cork in June. Thinking of the Limerick Marathon as a warm-up/LSR. Best of luck with it...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say you might get an earful from MC alright. You said it all yourself. Still great running, especially in that weather and certainly on track for the sub 3 in Vienna.

    If 6:50 plus or minus seven seconds is current MP what is your/MCs target MP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great runs Thomas. Really enjoying following how you are getting on following the coach's advice.

    BTW - love the sub title in your heading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive improvements!
    just one thing is training with both pulse and pace not over kill.
    What does MC recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very impressive training Thomas, with some excellent objective feedback that suggests sub three is very possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The numbers look good Thomas. Saturday especially so - a much faster than expected pace at a lower HR. Although, I wonder if 6:35 pace is your current marathon pace?

    Anyway, I'll be interested to hear what MC says about both runs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading through your description is like re-reading some of my own words from when I was experiencing these workouts.

    You're getting on well, Thomas. I have no doubt you will break three, it's just by how much. Keep at it! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good run Thomas. I know the coach might have a different perspective but I've never ever regretted going hard in a training run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't expect to see a 63 bus from Peckham show up in an Irish blog!says the guy born in Dulwich of Irish parents now living in America.
    Good luck going sub 3

    ReplyDelete