Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Good And Bad

There are always good things and bad things. Take today’s cycle commute into work, for example. There was blue sky to my left, blue sky to my right, blue sky to the front and blue sky to the back, and just one small f***ing rain cloud right on top of me.

On the other hand, my achilles felt really good this morning. Well, at least it did in comparison to previous days. I hardly felt a niggle as I set off on my run and even after 10 miles I was not sure if it hurt or if that was just the normal tiredness after 10 miles of fairly steady pace. Anyway, I don’t want to endanger the recent progress by doing something stupid, so Sunday’s cross country race is off, much to my chagrin, but it can’t be helped. The Dublin marathon, on the other hand, looks to be on again. I’m not entirely sure how I’ll handle 26 miles after not running more than 12 since Dingle, over 4 weeks ago, but I think I’ll be okay.

The fly in the ointment is the heart rate. It has been elevated every morning for the past few days. I’m not sure if there is some effect from the (very mild) cold that has been afflicting me recently or if it’s a sign of my deteriorating fitness.

By the way, according to Cian I am the much better parent than his mummy. This may be related to the fact that I tend to let them stay up later in the evening, or the fact that he got a second dessert, but he made sure to let mummy know, too. She was not entirely pleased, but blamed me rather than the kid.

Last week in school Cian’s class had to answer some questions, including their favourite athlete. Most kids opted for one of the Kerry football players or a player of the Premier League. Cian nominated his dad, and he really meant it. I was proud as punch, I can tell you.

Either my weighing scales are broken or my weight is fluctuating more than usual. I was shocked on Saturday to see the numbers top out at 155 pounds (that’s 11 stone 1, or 70.3 kg), the heaviest I’ve been in 2 years at least. But it was back down to the more normal 151 pounds (10 stone 11, 68.5 kg), which is what I seem to settle into every time. When I cut out all sugar for several weeks in spring it dropped down to 145, only to come back up again. Having said that, I could not tell the difference, neither in the mirror nor my racing times, so I don’t particularly care.
3 Oct
8 miles, 59:24, 7:25 pace, HR 162
4 Oct
5 miles, 38:50, 7:46 pace, HR 152
5 Oct
10 miles, 1:18:24, 7:50 pace, HR 155

8 comments:

  1. I thought you had grown to accept and even like rain clouds at this stage. Anyway far outweighed by the good news of a compliant achilles.

    Cian got taste - or was it the extra dessert that swung it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good and bad. Yes Thomas but..

    "You've gotta accentuate the positive Eliminate the negative Latch on to the affirmative Don't mess with Mister In-Between"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Cian- Thomas you right to be proud! Ohh I wouldn't worry about your minor increase in weight - put it down to the desserts! I don't think I'll be posting about my weight gain ... You'd be shocked!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think weight does not make a difference just try walking up and down stairs with a 5 lb weight.
    On a positive side I'm sure your better half thinks you look more attractive when you don't look like a prisoner of war :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas - I'm looking forward to your training with MC. I have a couple of questions which you may not yet know the answer to: a) when do you start the training with MC, b) do you kno wif it will be any different, i.e., you've spent the last few months doing ultra training with 'speed' taking the back seat, do you thinking s/he will introduce some early speed work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cian made an honest assessment. Once you stop improving he'll go for some other athlete ;)

    Yes, apropos Michael's comment, when do the Mystery Coach sessions kick off and what's the goal marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise decision to skip the cross country. I’m sure you’ll be ready for the marathon. My son also nominated me as his favorite sports person…lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete