Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summary

Usually I write a summary of my training a few days before a marathon, partly to create a little summary database of my marathon training, partly to convince myself that I've done enough and calm my nerves. I wasn't sure if that made sense this time because my training was rather disrupted first by pneumonia and then by the Connemara Ultra, but then I decided to do it anyway.

This was a highly unusual training cycle. After Loch Ness I was not sure if I would be able to train at all because of Maia being born, and after that turned out to be no problem (as well as a wonderful event, of course), I lost a full month to pneumonia and another one when I had to rebuild my mileage. Initially I thought of Connemara as my main race this spring, but after the pneumonia my focus shifted to the Cork marathon, because I felt there would not be enough time to get fully fit for Connemara (which, in retrospect, was indeed the case). Anyway, here are some bits of my training cycle:
Average miles:
62
This figure is probably meaningless due to those disruptions. To display all the ups and downs, my weekly mileage figures between recovering from Loch Ness and the start of the taper were: 65, 67, 78, 88, 91, 92, 96, 94, 81, 50, 22, 10, 0, 0, 11, 37, 61, 74, 94, 100, 79, 99, 70, 44, 53, 21, 50, 70, 66, 77, 74. That's 31 weeks. Loch Ness was a long, long time ago.
Injuries/Illness:
no real injuries, but the pneumonia more than made up for that
# of PRs:
1 in the Ballycotton 10 miler, but it was the only 10 mile race I've ever done (still, it's the fastest I've ever covered 10 miles in any race)

The weekly mileage has more ups and downs than the road around Caragh Lake. As I've said, this was a very unusual training cycle. However, I feel in top shape now, and I'm quite confident I'll be able to run a marathon PR on Monday.

I did one more workout today. Mystery Coach, who is helping fast guys Mike and Eric, has this taper workout that he makes them do a few days before the marathon. I ran a toned down version of it, 8 miles, with 4 miles at marathon pace and the 2x800 on the way home. The marathon pace section was maybe a little bit fast at 7:07 pace, but it featured 55 feet elevation drop. The 800s were 3:10 (19 feet climb) ad 2:56 (don't get excited, 32 feet drop). I liked that workout, it felt good to get the legs going at pace once more, and I'm looking forward to trying the same over 26 miles 5 days from now. My main worry at the moment is the weather forecast, it's changing daily, and some of their seemingly wild guesses are predicting rather higher temperatures than I would prefer. But I guess there is no point in panicking just yet.

27 May
5 miles, 44:42, 8:56 pace, HR 133
28 May
8 miles, 59:59, 7:30 pace, HR 152
incl. 4 miles in 28:27, 2x800 in 3:10 (uphill), 2:57(downhill)

7 comments:

  1. That's an impressive run of weekly mileage. You sure seem ready to me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas .... news flash ... you are one of the "fast guys" ... you'll rock this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to drive yourself crazy worrying about the weather, it's too far out and besides, there's nothing to be done about it...relax.

    And yes, you are fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live in Ireland and you're worrying about the weather? I understand what you're talking about though, that said there is nothing you can do about it. Prepare for the race as best you can and let the cards fall where they may.

    All the best this weekend, I'm really excited to see how the race unfolds.

    Run with passion and a hint of madness in your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Thomas

    Have a great Marathon and enjoy it! I reckon you will finish in 3hrs 8mins 45secs. That sub 3 is getting closer.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Thomas, I'm afraid you will have to adjust your mindset. You are indeed one of the 'fast guys'. Sub-3 is just over the horizon.

    One other point that Mystery Coach mentioned about the taper workout, in addition to feeling great after going through the range of paces, is that it causes some depletion in glycogen, which then results in a glycogen storage 'mode'. Additional carbs are then stored more easily over the following few days.

    Good luck, Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas I'll be cheering you from the rear - for the first 100 yards at least until you form a tiny spec on the horizon.

    I toyed with the idea of heading out at your pace but I want to run more than 15 miles.

    Rest easy, your in top shape and I'll see you Sunday.

    ReplyDelete