Saturday, May 03, 2008

Pre Race

The last two days have passed in a constant stage of paranoia. More than once I woke up in the middle of the night, each time convinced that I had a sore throat and that the sickness that had gripped the entire rest of the family had finally spread to me. I had a rough night. I'm quite used to being woken by Maia, but to be woken by Maia, Niamh, Lola and Cian was a new experience, and not one I care to repeat. The only one who slept peacefully was Shea, and he slept uninterrupted for 13 hours! Luckily the worst seems to be behind us; Niamh is feeling a lot better, as are the twins, and Cian was never very sick anyway. Just Maia seems to be suffering a bit more, she still has a raised temperature, and she's not entirely on form. I would offer to stay home, but Niamh's sister is here for the weekend and will be a helping hand, and besides, I'll be home shortly after lunch.

The weather is utterly miserable at the moment. It started raining in the morning just as I was about to leave for my run. For the third time this week I waited 15 minutes in hope that it was just a passing shower, but no such luck and eventually I got fed up with waiting and decided to brave to elements. It was wet and windy, but it was only a short 5 miles run, just enough to keep the legs and the mind occupied, and I hope to be at the start line tomorrow both healthy and rested.

I felt absolutely fantastic on yesterday's run, after crossing the Devil's Elbow I was cruising along effortlessly at 8:00 pace, and really had to stop myself from running any faster. It felt so easy and smooth, I can't remember the last time I had felt like that, and I very much enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the run was over all to quickly.

A work colleague asked me plenty of questions about running on Friday, from what goes through my mind during a run (everything and anything), if it hurts during a race (if it doesn't, then you're doing something wrong), did I ever think of quitting while racing (in just about every race), and if I ever quit (no ... not yet at least). Then the question I couldn't answer to his satisfaction, namely why? Because I love running! Except, from the previous answers he could not grasp what there is to love. I guess he would have to find out for himself.

A different colleague has started cycling into work, and I like to think that it was because of my influence. Chalk one up, even if it's only a mile or two from his house. It's so much better than driving.

I added a few more runs to my to-do list, namely the resurrected London-to-Brighton, a 24 hours race (not picky where, you don't do those for the scenery), Across The Years (the race reports are so great), and the Laugavegur Ultra (because I love Iceland). I mentioned them to Niamh, and she was like “You've gone completely mad. It's difficult enough already to explain to other people what you're doing”. And today she added “I don't doubt either your insanity or your determination”. I don't think she'll object to a holiday in South Africa for the Comrades or a few days in London, or any other interesting destination for that matter.

So. Tomorrow is race time. I have no idea what to expect, because I really don't know how well my legs have recovered from the ultra a mere 4 weeks ago. I'm reasonably confident I'll match last year's time of 1:29:57, and anything better would be a bonus. A PR would of course be welcome, but I won't be disappointed if that's out of reach. Till then.

2 May
8.5 miles, 1:10:53, 8:20 pace, HR 148
felt really good; had to hold back for Sunday's race
3 May
5 miles, 43:10, 8:38 pace, HR 140

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck! Forget the ultra and tell your legs you feel great! The power of positive thinking.....

    Go Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck Thomas!

    When you have a moment, go to my site and look at Brad's blog. He ran Iceland last year nad has some fantastic photos.

    Until later...

    ReplyDelete