Thursday, August 09, 2007

Miracle Cure

It was Wednesday morning, and that meant it was time for yet another hill session. I know I have constantly been whinging about how tired the legs felt, but this time I really groaned as soon as I took my first steps. I couldn’t imagine running up that hill again. Running the two miles towards the hill seemed like a challenge. I managed that (though it took me close to 20 minutes), and as soon as I forced myself to start the first of the hill drills I was surprised that I actually felt ok. I’m not sure if I managed to lift the knees as high as during the previous sessions, but I gave it the same effort and the HR stayed in the usual range. The other thing I had to force myself to do was the first of the windsprints at the bottom of the hill, but that followed the same pattern; the fear was much worse than the act itself. I did the same workout as on Monday in nearly the same time, and I felt just as tired afterwards.

I resolved to put in an easy day for Thursday, because I’m getting those doubts about overtraining again. I still can’t quite reconcile the fact that most of my training runs are getting slower and slower while the races are getting faster and faster. I was so tired after work that I went straight to bed and slept for half an hour. And I took an iron supplement that Niamh uses during her pregnancy. The sleep revived me for the evening (surely it can’t have been the supplement. They don’t work that fast), so much so that I played with the idea of doing a long run on Thursday and have the easy day either on Friday or Saturday. Unfortunately Cian had snuggled in beside me in bed while I was asleep, and unlike me he was down for good. Niamh wasn’t too impressed “If he wakes at 5 am you will be the one to entertain him.” I didn’t tell her that if everything went to plan I wouldn’t be here at that time of the morning to deal with the problem.

I settled on a kind of compromise. I would get up in time for a long run, but if I felt like crap I would go back to bed. Otherwise I would run the 17 miles of the Caragh Lake loop, and according to how I felt then I would either go home, or add any number of miles. The alarm went off at 4:45, I actually felt good and rested and got ready. A minute before heading out it started raining heavily, which I could have taken as a sign from fate to stay at home but didn’t. It was only a temporary shower; by the time I was out of the door the worst had already passed and within a few minutes it was reduced to a drizzle that would stay with me for the next hour or so.

The loop went very well, I ran a bit slower than last week (when I had to prove to myself that I got something in the tank) but faster than two weeks ago (when I was sleepwalking the course). I didn’t meet a soul for the first 12 miles, and even then it was still very quiet. The wind was blowing rather strongly (the weather website says 21 mph/33kmh, but it felt worse than that – I must be getting soft) and I had to fight it for the first 5 miles, but it meant I had the wind on my back later on. Those first miles were a bit on the slow side but I settled into 8:00 pace for most of the run. When I got home I felt good enough to add the whole 5 miles of the Ard-na-Sidhe loop to the workout. I tried to pick up the pace a bit but slipped back again when I lost my concentration. I was still in reasonable shape when I got home. It wasn’t my best long run effort ever but I was pleased, and I sure was glad that I had gone out for the long run instead of chickening out.

I felt rather weary later on in the office and my stomach had a few issues but both those problems sorted themselves out after a few hours, by lunchtime I felt like I could go running again. I won’t, not least because somehow I managed to chafe myself rather badly. I can’t explain why, I wore the same outfit as for the last few long runs. Maybe the fact that it had been raining form the start had some effect. But my energy levels are back to where I want them to be. I don’t know what brought the turnaround. It could have been the iron supplement, it has helped before. Maybe my iron levels are borderline low, but that’s just a wild guess.

Oh, and Cian slept until 7:30. Niamh managed to go back to sleep after giving him some breakfast, and I let her sleep until nearly 9 o'clock when I had to leave for work. Everyone's happy.

8 Aug: 4 hill repeats, 1:42:16, ~11 miles, avg. HR 140
9 Aug: 22 miles, 3:01:55, 8:16 pace, avg. HR 143

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your energy levels are right back where you want it to be especially for that long Thursday run. The rain causes me chafing too, not bad though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can’t explain why, I wore the same outfit as for the last few long runs"

    See, you have to wash it in between, or the salt builds up on it and it chafes! Seriously though, who knows? Seems like some things are just plain random, like chafing one time and not the next, or blistering one time and not the next.

    I'm glad you are feeling better - if it is your iron levels it can take a while to build them back up. Mine were so depleted before my surgery last year that it took about 8 months to hit normal again. Doesn't sound like that's the case for you though.

    Keep up the fabulous training - you work harder at it than anyone I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas I think it was the sleep. Sleep is the miracle drug for the body!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The iron situation is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

    I wouldn't complain about training runs getting slower if the races are faster. Your general runs probably should be slower while you've got the hills happening.

    I agree that the anticipation of a tough session is often worse than the session itself. You're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're keeping things going, Thomas. I seem to be not making everyone happy lately, but it has been awhile since I have trained this much.

    Well done on the hill repeats and the 22!

    ReplyDelete