Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Finally Cutting Back, Maybe

I felt very tired after Monday’s workout, and so I resolved to finally cut my mileage by a noticeable amount. I don’t know how I managed to amass so many miles last week, I definitely had intended to cut back. But the celebratory extra miles after Saturday’s race and the longer-than-planned run on Sunday added up, I guess. But I think my training runs have gotten slower recently and this could well be a sign that I should take it a bit easier. Interestingly, my heart rate continues to drop. This could mean more than one thing though. It could be a sign of increased fitness, but it could also be a sign of overtraining. Whatever it is, I resolved to run the Kerry Way loop on Tuesday, which happens to be one of my favourite routes because of the stunning scenery, but is only really recommended after a few days of nice weather, unlike you like playing in the mud for several miles. It’s only about 12.5 miles long, but with a lot of ups and downs, and a nice big long climb in the middle, 3 miles long with about 250m/800feet elevation gain. This served as a useful test for my strength, if I can manage that climb without feeling like collapsing I’m in good shape, and so it proved. It felt good to gain all that height and still be able to enjoy the scenery of Seefin mountain on one side and Caragh Lake dropping back on the other. I ran at a reasonable pace, but with a mile to go I felt like I hadn’t done any work yet and put in a bit more effort for the final stretch, which I covered in about 7:00, give or take a few seconds. With the weather being close to perfect, it was a fantastic run.

Today is Wednesday, and it was time for another hill session. They are coming thick and fast now; when you’re doing them 3 times a week that tends to be the case, I guess. The first thing I noticed when I reached my usual road at the foot of the Devil’s Elbow was that it is a lot flatter than the Geokaun road in Valentia that I had used for my last 3 hill workouts. Either someone came along and flattened the road in my absence, or my legs have gotten used to hills again. During the first repeat I thought this is no good, I have to find a steeper road, but when I switched to bounding I easily managed to get the HR up into the mid-170s again, and steep-hill running felt difficult enough as soon as I concentrated on lifting the knees as high as I could. I guess that road will do after all. What I find amazing about those workouts is the different heart rates I’m going through, from 175 on top of the hill to 120 after jogging back down (I’m taking it very easy on the downhills because of my knee), back to 160 or more on the windsprints and back to 130 on the jogging before the fun starts again. I managed 4 repeats, but then my quads felt very, very heavy and I definitely had enough. I could tell that a fifth repeat would have been impossible, not that I had planned one.

I get slightly contradicting signals from my body at the moment. My heart keeps dropping, but so are my training paces. I feel really strong running up those hills and the last two 5k races brought my 2 fastest ever times, yet I fell stiff and slow at times. I hope a cut in mileage will inject some zip into my legs, and a few faster runs in preparation for the anaerobic phase may or may not help. I’ll see.

31 Jul: 12.5 miles, 1:42:17, 8:10 pace, avg. HR 140, last mile in ~7:00
1 Aug: 4 hill repeats, 1:41:55, ~11 miles, avg. HR 140

Monthly mileage in July: 427+ (easily my highest ever)

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the drop in pace Thomas. I used to follow Mike Gratton's (London Marathon winner in 2:09 if I recall correctly) 'hard training' thread on runnersworld.co.uk, where he offered online advice to people who were looking to get serious about their marathon time. I'm fairly sure they all noticed a drop in pace (which he said was to be expected) as they adapted to the mileage, and then reaped the dividend when they cut-back and started on the speed in the lead-up to their race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drop in pace could be a signal that fast times are coming. It almost always seems to be the case.
    Hill workouts are one of my favorites, and you're putting in some serious ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, congrats on baby number 4...a bun in the oven. Good for you and your family!

    Man, you've been a wild man on your feet. Backing off a bit may be helpful for you. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you're getting fitter Thomas. You're always going to have some lingering tiredness at high mileage.

    A few days off would help, not that you want to do that yet. In the anaerobic phase you should start to feel fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas your form has been very good lately. You are running a serious amount of miles a week and now as you are increasing your effort (hill repeats) your body needs longer to recover. I certainly find that I have sluggish runs following periods of sustained effort or long runs and after relative easy days my pace is back on form or even slightly improved. Your conditioning is done - ease up a little.

    ReplyDelete