Monday, July 02, 2007

Monday Blues

What’s the best bit about the weekend? That you don’t have to go to work, of course. And what’s the best bit about not having to go to work? That you don’t have to sit in an office chair that causes a world of pain in your knee.

I spent two blissfully pain free days at home, even though I definitely didn’t hold back on my training runs. Today, Monday, I’m back in the office, and within 2 hours my knee was so sore that I sat down in the middle of the floor and started doing stretching. Of course I got funny looks from all sides. I didn’t care, as long as my knee felt better afterwards.

I’ve harboured hopes that I’m slowly getting better. Maybe I am. But today’s pain is a stark reminder that I’m nowhere near recovered.

12 miles on Saturday didn’t sound too tough; after all it was the same workout as the week before. The weather was changeable, mostly cloudy with the occasional shower. At one point the sun came out at the same moment as the rain started. Anyone in Killorglin looking towards Caragh Lake must have seen a beautiful rainbow, and I was there right beneath it (I didn’t find a crock of fairy gold, though). My knee started hurting after a small downhill section, plus I was a bit bored, so I decided to throw in a fast mile, both to alleviate the knee issues (it really hurts less when I speed up) and to have a bit of fun. I tried to stay aerobic at all times, and 6 minutes and 47 seconds later I thought “that was fun, let’s do it again”. But then I remembered that I had planned a faster run for Sunday. If one fast mile hadn’t already ruined my chances of a decent workout, a second one would surely have done so, and I decided to just drudge along at daydreaming pace for the reminder of the run.

I tried to put a bit of effort into Sunday’s workout, but it didn’t go entirely to plan. It could have been the residue of Saturday’s faster mile, or maybe the combined miles from the last few days, but the snap just wasn’t there and I didn’t get faster than 7:25 pace on average. That’s not even my planned MP, and after a run like that I always start doubting myself. It just doesn’t feel realistic to aim for a marathon pace of 7:15 when I can’t even hit it for a few miles during a training run. On the other hand, I ran a half-marathon at 6:51 pace two months ago, and in light of that 7:15 marathon pace doesn’t look particularly outrageous. Plus, prior to that race I struggled to run below 7:15 for even half the race distance during training, but the race day adrenaline proved to be powerful stuff. I guess I’m hoping for more of the same come October.

I got a bit of a surprise when I added up my miles for the week, because 85 was definitely a bit higher than expected. Not that I’m complaining, but I expected to feel a lot more fatigued when running that kind of mileage. Since the week went pretty well I’m adding a few more miles, which might bring me over 90, depending on how I feel.

I really have to admit that today’s run didn’t go too well, though. I’ve finally reached the level of 3 runs of 2 hours or more per week, and it might be taking its toll. It’s been a while since 15 miles felt so long, and I was definitely dragging my legs over the last 5-mile loop. The windy conditions didn’t help, but maybe I should be grateful for the low temperatures. I don’t think I’d be able to run my mileage if it were any hotter. By the end of the run I checked the HRM and couldn’t believe that it only read 147. My heart might have thought of it as a recovery run, but my legs had entirely different ideas.

Last week’s Monday run had been as easy as they come, which set me up for a double header on Tuesday and Wednesday. Today I don’t think I’ll be up for it. I might follow Eric’s advice once more and only do those every second week. I’ll decide tomorrow. If I can stomach a few faster miles, I’ll give it a try, otherwise I’ll just be happy to keep churning out the miles.

30 Jun: 12 miles, 1:35:46, 7:58 pace, avg. HR 148
1 Jul: 8 miles, 59:28, 7:26 pace, avg. HR 157
2 Jul: 15 miles, 2:05:36, 8:22 pace, avg. HR 147

Weekly mileage: 85

12 comments:

  1. Interesting blog. As someone training for their first-ever marathon, I like to read about others who have done a lot of running. I'll add you to my "blogs I read" list. I look forward to keeping up with your running ... and reading old blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that sitting at a desk chair is not knee-friendly! Hang in there, you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I'd love to turn in a 15 miler just like that, but hasn't happened yet, but won't give up.

    sometimes you just have to stretch to relieve the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add "driving a car for more than 10 minutes" to your list of things that aggrivates knees. Mine hasn't kicked up in a few weeks running or otherwise, but when i get in the car these strange sensations start to occur deep in the joint. Strange stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading your blog for the past number of weeks and enjoy charting your progress. I don't know where you find the time to keep it up to-date, run and rear a family. Do you do anything else? I have been running for a year and a half - primarily marathon training having set out to run Dublin last year. Despite this I can't seem to translate pace achieved for 10k or half marathon to projected marathon pace (Mcmillanrunning.com). Like you I did the West Cork run in a very good time for me (1:32:29) but only managed 3:25:39 a month later at the Cork Marathon. (target 3:15 to 3:20). I also had knee pain earlier in the year when I sat in one position for any length of time. Taking the kids to the panto at Christmass was hell - felt like arthritis. However it appears to have cleared up now. Keep up the running.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...what's the difference between the weekend at home and the office chair? Is it movement? Or is it propping your leg at home? Is it something you can duplicate at work? Like sticking a box under your desk to rest your leg on? Or can you take a walk break around the office and down the hall every half hour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mileage and speed continues to amaze me, keep up the good work, at the rate your going you blow the PR up in the fall! I hope your knee cooperates.

    In reference to your knees aching more at work...I have a similar problem with my quads, at home they are fine, but they ache when I sit too long at my desk at work (or drive too long with my car). I have to get up and stretch or walk around every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't give up. Slow improvement is the only way.

    If you're a runner and love Central Park, perhaps you'd be interested in my new legal thriller, "A Good Conviction," which is set largely in Manhattan, has several scenes in Central Park, and features NY runners (a runner finds the body) and the NYC marathon, which my wife ran 7 times.

    "A Good Conviction" tells the story of a young man convicted of a murder he didn’t commit by a prosecutor who may have known he was innocent.

    I invite you to check it out on amazon ...

    http://www.amazon.com/Good-Conviction-Lewis-M-Weinstein/dp/1595941622/ref=sr_1_1/103-7341421-1865416?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180587686&sr=8-1

    LEW WEINSTEIN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work Thomas. You're piling up the miles and I wouldn't worry about the pace for one second. You've got the speed in spades but just need to rest the legs when the time comes. I'd work at trying to have more contrast in your runs so you can have fresher legs. How about long and easy and then short and really really slow for a few days? Might help with the blues. As for that knee...

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's motivating to see you so methodical with your running. you're putting in some great miles despite the knee business.

    here's to your knee making it to october!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey. sorry to read (late) that you've joined the knee-pain club. wish i could join you in running through it though! (i can hardly walk). be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to the days when I can once again say that 12 miles doesn't sound too tough. I'm back up to a 6-7 mile "long" training run, and steadily improving.

    ReplyDelete