Friday, June 29, 2007

That’s my boy!

Tuesday, 26 Jun:
Me: Cian, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Cian: A fire-fighter. Daddy, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Me: A marathon runner.

Wednesday, 27 Jun:
Me: Cian, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Cian: A fire-fighter. Daddy, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Me: A marathon runner.

Thursday, 28 Jun:
Me: Cian, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Cian: I’ve changed my mind, Daddy. When I grow up I want to be a marathon runner like you!


I took it relatively easy on Thursday after the double header, and just ran 8 miles at some reasonable pace. I discovered that, like on the day before, my daydreaming pace is about 8:10. If I want to run faster than that I have to put my mind to it. I ran about half of the workout at daydreaming pace, and half of it at about 7:50 pace, and combined with a slow warm-up it produced 8:05 pace overall. I had yet another run-in with the pack of dogs that lives about 2 miles away from us and has attacked me before. I don’t know the owner personally, but apparently she’s an eccentric German lady who picks up stray dogs and keeps them. Unfortunately she make no attempt at controlling them, with the result that all her neighbours are basically barred from walking on the road, and a lone runner like myself gets attacked regularly. I know from personal experience that the fucking useless police are doing fuck all about it, even when you get bitten. I avoided a bite this time, mainly thanks to a stone I managed to pick up and hurl at the pests, but I’m so pissed off about the situation, I haven’t got the words for it.

When I checked my online running log yesterday the sentence “longest run in the last 13 weeks: 17 miles” struck me as unacceptable and I decided there and then to pump up today’s mileage to 18. It won’t make any difference to my endurance in October if I run 17 or 18 miles now, but it made me feel better, because in my world long runs start at 18 miles. For this I had to get up at 5am, which is why I didn’t particularly appreciate Cian’s refusal to fall asleep until way past 11pm. The alarm subsequently ripped me from very deep sleep, and it took a bit longer than usual to get out of the door. I faced the problem of how to run 18 miles. A trip around Caragh Lake is out of the question because of the long downhill sections, and I really didn’t fancy 3 out-and back trips on my usual 6-mile loop, because that would take me past the crazy dog lady’s house no less than 6 times, and I had no intentions of chancing my luck. I eventually decided to run part of the Caragh Lake loop, 4 miles out-and-back, and to add 2 loops on the Ard-na-Sidhe road. In fact that’s pretty much the same route I used to run for most of my long runs last year, before I started doing the whole Caragh Lake loop regularly instead.

The run went fine, especially considering that it was just 2 days after my double header, which, a fortnight ago, took me 5 days to recover from. I felt pretty good today, and after covering the first 3 miles at about 8:30 I managed to speed up sufficiently to get the average pace down to 8:00 at the end. My heart rate was also pretty low, which is always an encouraging sign. Running 18 miles didn’t particularly tax me; I think I’ll pump my longest run up to 20 next week. The knee held up fine again. It did hurt on every downhill stretch, but was fine otherwise. But sitting in my office chair at work once again left me in agony. I can’t find a sitting position that doesn’t cause a lot of pain. I still hope to heal soon, but I am relieved that at least my training doesn’t seem to be affected.

28 Jun: 8 miles, 1:04:47, 8:05 pace, avg. HR 151
29 Jun: 18 miles, 2:24:02, 8:00 pace, avg. HR 148

12 comments:

  1. Well good for Cian! And for you, of course, for being a great role model.

    Unleashed dogs really piss me off as well. Have you thought of carrying pepper spray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In rural areas near my home in Texas, dogs like that are likely to get shot. I have a recently retired co-worker who's been the shooter in situations like that before. Now he's the mayor of his town. Different world, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe the police doesn't do anything about those dogs! Dangerous....run carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps a window would be a better target for the rock next time? Seriously though, perhaps a knock on the door and a discussion would help (when the dogs are actually locked up of course). I find that when people are confronted face to face about their behavior that they tend to be more considerate in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The funny thing about dogs is that after a few years they get old and fat and you're still running past. There was a large dog that used to bug me until I started stashing convenient sticks on either side of where he lived.

    I'm a bit worried about your knee hurting like that after the runs. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cian catches on pretty quick. You might have to model the correct response for him to remind him every now and then.

    I have faced some unleashed dogs, but so far I have been fortunate enough to avoid an attack. Take care of that knee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go, Cian!!!
    I've had my share with dogs off leash on the run...and a bite or two. Somehow in Portland it's never been a problem (dogs less vicious?), but in NY it was horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't actually been attacked in years -- I guess I've had enough practice in dog avoidance to be able to put on the burst of speed at just the right moment.

    Hope the knee gets better soon--I'm finding the same situation with my ankle in the office chair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dogs stop me in my tracks, I just never take the chance of running pass them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a dog freak but cannot tolerate moron owners that do not know how to control their dogs. I'm sure most runners have stories on dogs. How aggravating for you!

    What a great kid you have there, Thomas.

    Be careful with that knee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just work on your accuracy some more, sure the dogs will get the message after you scone them a few times. Hope the knee comes right soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I second the thoughts about pepper spray. Can you even buy that over-the-counter in Ireland?

    Very cool about your son. You've done good!

    ReplyDelete