Sunday, February 04, 2007

Now Look What You’ve Done!

I should not have listened to you. All that talk about flowers and chocolate, I should have ignored it and moved on. Instead I traipsed to the shop. The florist was closed, but I got a box of very nice Swiss chocolate. And what was the result? Niamh didn’t believe that I would buy expensive chocolate just to apologise for that little row in the car on Tuesday night. As much as I insisted that I hadn’t committed any other offences, she remained suspicious. Sigh. I blame you lot. Yes, you. (Just in case that kind of humour doesn’t translate over the Atlantic, yes, I am kidding. [Niamh’s still suspicious though].)

**********


I don’t know how it could happen so fast. I was only off the road for 4 days, but I’ve gained nearly 5 pounds in the meantime. If I ever give up running, I’ll turn into a walrus within half a year!

So, after four days off, I’ve started running again. The head wasn’t entirely healed, but I felt 98% recovered, the headache was gone, there was just a little bit of “something” at the back of my head, and I wanted to test the waters. Any sign of trouble and I would have returned immediately. As it was, I was fine. The doctor had insisted I wouldn’t run as far as 10k, so I figured 5 miles would be perfectly acceptable. I tried to run in a measured way, but after gathering dust for 4 days the legs refused to be reined in, as I knew they would. They say you don’t lose any fitness over 4 days. Well, let them say that, but I definitely started to breathe hard after 3 miles, and was quite happy to be home again after less than 40 minutes. It was enough to blow away the cobwebs.

Saturday turned out to be a really nice and warm day (spring in February???), and I spent several hours working in the garden. After that my lower back really hurt, and to top it all off, I was totally exhausted in the evening and fell asleep at 10 pm. I slept for nearly 11 hours.

I want to jump straight back into my normal training week, and Sunday is the day of my fast run, so once I managed to peel myself out of bed it was time to put on the fast shoes and start working hard. The legs didn’t feel very responsive though. I don’t know if it was the enforced pause, yesterday’s too-fast run, the hours in the garden or all of those things together, but I didn’t feel too good initially. But when I passed the first mile in about 7:11, I thought I might have a good workout after all. Initially I struggled to get the heart rate high enough into the tempo run zone, it continued to hover around the 162 mark. I tried pushing the effort on a few occasions, but fell back into the slower pace each time. Apart from one hill, the road is reasonably flat until about 3.75 miles, then there’s a climb until the 4.5 mile point, where I would turn around. I pushed it a bit too hard up that incline, the heart rate shot up all the way to 180 and my breathing had long gone haywire, but I recovered on the way down again, and after that it seemed to go better. I was quite pleased with the second part of the run. The first leg had taken me 30:27, the return was a little bit faster at 30:10, which gave me a total of 1:00:37. I’d have taken that before the workout started.

Nana and Gaga are here for a short visit from Dublin, and I used the trip to Killarney to collect them to go into the Nike shop to get a new pair of runners. I know Mike didn’t approve when I bought my previous pair of Nike 360s a few months ago, but I was really happy with them and resolved to buy a new pair to replace them. My preferred shoes are Asics Nimbus, but I like alternating shoes for each run, and my legs seem to respond best to alternating two different kinds of shoes. Wearing Nike one day and Asics the next seems to work perfectly well. As it turns out, they had a special offer, if you buy two (already heavily reduced) pairs you get the second one at half price, and I couldn’t resist. Even Niamh grudgingly admitted that it made sense, though she despairs at the fact that I've now got 6 pairs of runners again (2 for training, 1 for racing and tempo runs, 1 for football and now 2 new ones), only weeks after chucking out a whole lot of them. But hey, 140 Euros for 2 new pairs, that’s less than the rrp for one pair of 360s alone.

I’m playing with the idea of putting my present pair of Nimbus at the back of the cupboard and saving them for the ultra in April. They’ve got 160 miles on them and feel just about perfect now. If I preserve them for a few weeks and then use them for 2 or 3 long runs before the race, I should have the perfect pair of shoes for the race. Hmm, I might do just that.

3 Feb: 5 miles, 37:32, 7:30 pace, avg. HR 156
4 Feb: 9 miles, 1:00:37, 6:44 pace, avg. HR 165

Weekly mileage: 25 (ah well)

8 comments:

  1. Thomas,
    You are a good guy - Niamh may be suspicious, but I bet she was happy. Putting the shoes on the back shelf sounds like a pretty good idea. If you do it, be sure to let us know how it works out. I ran yesterday's 50K in my trail shoes - they had about 25 miles of street/snow running and 17 miles (but 6 hours) of trail running on them. They felt great - though I do have blisters on the toes, but we all know that has to do with my toes and not my shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to be back running eh? Good call on the shoes, i.e., putting a pair at the back of your cupboard once there are broken in just right. I did a similar thing with my last marathon, lightweight trainers/flats mind you.

    As luck would have it, it looks like we’re going to be able to pop over to Ireland for a few days after London, most likely sticking around Dublin though (my mum’s side of the family is from Howth).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you have six pairs of running shoes and all the wife gets is chocolate?

    I shouldn't have ribbed you about the Nikes. Obviously they're working for you, and who am I really to tell you what to wear? As it is I train in the Brooks Adrenalines with a big, spongy Spenco insoles peppered with metatarsal pads.

    Glad I beat you by one mile during my forced recovery though since you've been beating me regularly on the miles lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to have you back.

    Funny stuff on the chocolates and suspicion. Sometimes you just can't win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are back at it. Don't worry about weight - with your running it will melt fast. And I am sure Niamh loved the chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good God Man! What the hell have you been up to? I've not visited your blog for a while and find that you have been bouncing your head off floors. I'd not be surprised if they didn't kick your head around for a while before realizing it wasn't the ball! Naimh is probably suspicious that your head injury has caused permanent damage with the Swiss chocolate being exhibit 1. Those types of injuries are scary and very serious. I'm glad you went to a doctor and for the most part went with his advice.

    As for your story regarding your heart I think you need to follow up with your doctor and have a few tests done. Turns out when my friend finally went to a cardiologist they suspect a fibrillating valve may be the cause. The problem with this is that it causes pooling in the chamber of the heart that can cause clots and a stroke. My friend is going in for laser surgery in two weeks. There is a 1.5-% chance that if they damage a node they may need to implant a pacemaker. Of course my friend was telling me all this after having finished a 50K this weekend. Better safe than sorry my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good job for buying gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great info to know.

    ReplyDelete